swiss chard tart

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

Hopefully your swiss chard is getting going now, so here's another plagiarised waitrose recipe (from 3 years ago) that is much more scrumptious than it sounds.

300g shortcrust pastry
2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, finely sliced
250g swiss chard
3 eggs
200ml creme fraiche (greek yoghurt works really well as a substitute)
salt & pepper
50g finely grated gruyere (or whatever leftover lump of cheese you have)

Roll out pastry & use to line a 25cm round, shallow tart dish. Prick the bottom with a fork (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere), line with greaseproof paper & bake blind for 20 mins. Take out the paper & whatever weight you used, then put back in the oven to dry out for 5 mins.

Meanwhile, heat the oil over a low heat & fry the onions till soft. Prep the chard by stripping the leaves from the stems. Finely slice both & add the stems to the onions. Fry gently till they begin to soften, then add the leaves & fry till soft. Season to taste then pile it into the baked pastry case. Beat together everything else, season & pour over the chard, make sure the filling seeps through to the base.

Bake for 25 mins.

Another yum.
Norfolkbird
KG Regular

made this at the weekend (now that I actually HAVE some Swiss chard, having fenced the allotment off to deter the rabbits), and it was a huge hit - even with those who "don't like all that green stuff". Couldn't get hold of any creme fraiche or Greek yoghurt, so went for the low fat option and used double cream instead!
Thanks for the recipe!

Jenny
You'll find me in the Lavender Shed...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic