Cucumbers in polytunnels and cross-pollination

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Kevin Wright
KG Regular

I am growing Burpless Tasty Green as usual in my solartunnel this year, and am thinking of also growing Marketmore. As both these have male and female flowers, and the instructions on the packet say not to remove the male flowers,I was wondering if there is any risk that they will cross-pollinate and produce bitter fruit? Any advice and experience would be much appreciated!
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Kevin

They will almost certainly cross-pollinate. Whether they produce bitter fruit only time (or a more knowledgeable grower than me)will tell. However, both varieties you mention grow well outdoors. When I have grown a number of varieties close together outdoors I have never had bitter cucumbers.

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Kevin Wright
KG Regular

Thanks Alan, that's helpful, if you've had no problems outdoors then the polytunnel should be no different - we'll give it a go!
fen not fen
KG Regular

I grew Passandra (all female) and Marketmore in the same tunnel last year and didn't notice any bitterness.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic