Time to remove bubblewrap insulation from Greenhouse?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

madasafish
KG Regular

I'm debating with myself whether to remove or not.. or wait till mid April. Our nighttime temperatures are 2-6C , average about 4C I guess but we often have late frosts.

Any advice? Or should I take advantage of this lovely weather and do it now?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Madasafish, since mid Apil is just over a week away :wink: i think i would take it down now.
You might just need to cover a few things over at night if they predict a hard frost, and if you are not heating your greenhouse.
The plants will also appreciate the extra light they will receive. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Madasafish,
As the cow flies I am not a million miles from you and we had one hell of a frost this morning -4C so I feel that whilst this good weather is prevailing I would leave your bubble wrap exactly where it is as open skies bring the frost.
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Now we have put you in a predicament, i won't be in the least offended if you go with Johnboys advice.

Maybe you could take half of it down. :lol:

madasafish
KG Regular

Thanks for your replies... :-))

Helped me decide..

"if in doubt, do nowt" as the old saying goes:-)
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi OH,
I understand your answer as I have been told that the Bedford area is now classified as Sub-tropical but some of us still live in England as it was! :wink:
JB.
Tigger
KG Regular

Yes - mine will stay in place for another month.
darrenc
KG Regular

Dear MADASAFISH,
leave the bubblewrap up but make sure you ventilate appropiately, dont be too keen to strip it cos of the easter sunshine. I have just been looking at the various weather sites and we are due to get some nasty stuff within the next 2 weeks.
John
KG Regular

Hello Madasafish
This is a very treacherous time of year from point of view of the weather. We get a wider range of daily temperatures now than at any other time of year. At night it can quickly fall to freezing and below (see J'Boy posting) whilst during the day, as just recently, the thermometer can touch 20°C or so.
So keep the wrap there against cold nights for a bit longer and ventilate your greenhouse freely during the middle of day.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
madasafish
KG Regular

Well I finally removed it .. lots of fleece available plus heater sitting in greenhouse ... but judging by the BBC 5 day weather forecast I will need neither.

One thing that did surprise me was the condensation overnight on the inside of the glass.. did noit happen when bubblewrap was there.

Lovely sunny days... Anioleka tomatoes grown under lights are flowering...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Madasafish, one good thing about the bubble wrap being removed a little early, is that you don't have to harden all your plants off for quite as long.

With the condensation, you might finds it helps if you try and just water in the morning, but maybe you do this already. :wink:

I'm going to change my name if we get a late frost and you loose some plants. :D :wink:

madasafish
KG Regular

>OH
Don't worry... We've had frosts before (with no bubblewrap!) and I just go out and light the parafin heater:-)
madasafish
KG Regular

To OH
No need to change your name so far. No frosts. All growing nicely with bubblewrap:-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic