water collection from a polytunnel

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tracie
KG Regular

Dear All,

we are just about to errect a polytunnel on my allotment. Has anybody got and experience in collecting water from their polytunnel.

Can you attach guttering,or will it weaken the plastic. Any ideas would be great, I would rather if possible build any plans into the construction now rather that do it after we had completed the polytunnel.

Thanks

Tracie :?: :?
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
Tigger
KG Regular

I think Allan could answer this, but he hasn't been on the Forum for a few weeks. May be worth a PM or an e-mail.

Otherwise, try the search facility. I'm sure it's been discussed before.
richard p
KG Regular

i think allans method was to put drainpipes in the bottom of the trench at the base of the walls then fill with pea gravel to hold the plastic down. the drain pipes are led to a pit then the water pumped up to where you need it. the other way is to cut the plastic into three so you have a roof and two walls, you then fix some sort of wooden beam along the tunnel to fix the edges of the roof, hold the gutter and hold the top of the wall plastic. the drains in the ground seems to be the easier to set up, though having seperate "walls" does give the option of using net in summer for ventilation.
Tigger
KG Regular

That sounds familiar Richard. Thankyou. :)
tracie
KG Regular

Thanks for your help, will set husband on the job straight away and see what he comes up with.

Tracie
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
Allan
KG Regular

I'm still around but it seems that others are prepared to do the work of repeating the instructions which is all right by me.
Allan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic