cedar coldframes

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

lynne
KG Regular

hello chaps
I've been lusting after a Gabriel Ash cedar cold frame (and who can blame me!)
Does anyone have one of these delicious items, and if so, did you find that it's really worth all that money?
The one I'd really like is this upright one. Warning: not for the fainthearted, price wise!

http://www.coldframes.com/acatalog/upri ... frame.html
carlseawolf
KG Regular

SO WHEN DID YOU WIN THE LOTTERY ?
A seed planted today will make a meal tomorrow
www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf
lynne
KG Regular

um, well,I didn't!
But my Nana always told me "you buy cheap, you buy twice" and I've found that to be true. So I'd rather buy the very best once, than buy an inferior one and then find I have to replace it shortly afterwards.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Lynne, i'm afraid i don't own one myself, but i did take a very close look at the coldframes and greenhouses at one of the big gardening shows.
I have to say i was very impressed with the quality of the workmanship, and overall i think they are probably worth their money.
They often have a sale on, but i feel this may have unfortunately ended now.

Maybe just one word of advice, if you do purchase one, ask them what would be the best sort of base to site it on, and also the best type of maintenance to follow, then i feel sure these would last for many years.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Tigger
KG Regular

I haven't got a Gabriel Ash coldframe, but I've got a couple of cedar coldframes made by my OH and they're very nice to use.

Whenever he has a job in cedar, he keeps all the reasonably sized offcuts in the hope that one day they'll make the window lights in a cedar greenhouse. That way we'll only have to fund the main frames ( :?: :idea: :!: ). Could be some time away yet though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic