longrow super cloche - reviews

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

acrylicspud
KG Regular

Hello
Sorry I already posted this in general chatter and tools... but this looks like the right forum.

Has anyone got these... are they any good? they look like the right sort of size to be useful in my small veg patch!
Deb P
KG Regular

I was given 3 by my OH last year, and have to say I'm not over impressed. The end pieces are very flimsy and keep popping out! On one of them, the corrigated plastic also pops out despite repeated attempts to keep it in place. They do stay put in the ground well though. They are just a bit too small for my raised beds at home, may use them more down the lottie this year.
richard p
KG Regular

we got three about 10 years ago, the end bits have all dissapeered over the years, occasionally the corrugated sheet unclips itself, but stays within the frame, in high winds , the frames are still as new and the corrugated sheets are still good.
brumbly
KG Regular

Mine were difficult to assemble- 1 in particular even defied the additional strength of husband!The ends fall out/off and one of the panels came adrift this winter and has cracked on being re-fitted. I would not buy again or receommend them.

I have now contacted the supplier Two Wests + elliot who tell me I can order replacemnt panels at £4.00 each. Not too impressed that something that did not work well from day one is now costing more money to try and rectify. I hope the replacement panel is a better fit than the original
lisa
John
KG Regular

Hello Acrylicspud
I use these cloches which are similar but simpler than the Longrow type. Each one is just a sheet of clear corrugated roofing sheet held in shape with two D shaped wire hoops. I've stuck a spare hoop in front of the cloche in the top picture to give you an idea. The end panels is just a sheet clear plastic 20 x 12in pegged against the cloche. In warm weather I replace it with a wire mesh piece for better ventilation. Several of these cloches are easily overlapped against each other to make a tunnel.
My only problem now is that I can't get more hoops from anywhere.

John

PS The cloche is not in service yet but is waiting to warm up the row where my first early pots will be going when I've cleaned up some more sheets!
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Geoff
KG Regular

I do the same but just use the ordinary hoops for a tunnel cloche. Pushing the loops for the retaining strings just under the ground helps stop the wind lifting them. I find them easier to assemble if I put four sticks in the ground first.
brumbly
KG Regular

I've just ordered a replacement panel from Two Wests, total cost £9.46! I will certainly try the bended sheet + metal hoops idea in future. I was not impressed with customer service of Two Wests- these things are alledgedly guaranteed for a year- but obviously not in practice.
lisa
richard p
KG Regular

ive got some metal hoops similar to john's, they are basically a D shape made from half inch metal strip by a friend of my father inlaw. , on these the cross bar was welded in but it could be bolted or rivited. once one has been made the right size they look easy to make.
acrylicspud
KG Regular

Thanks, the hoop idea looks like the best idea! thanks for the photos.

I just found a plastic cloche in B+Q on offer for £5. It's about the same sort of dimensions as the longrow one, but it's one piece of solid plastic, with a few tent pegs to keep it in the ground.
Seems to be okay for a fiver ! :)
brumbly
KG Regular

I was quoted £4.00 for a replacement panel by Two Wests, but on phoning the price had increased - I queried this and was told by a very unfriendly customer "service" woman that there was no fixed price! I said I was unimpressed by their lack of customer service and that the cloches were supposedly guaranteed for a year. After some arguing they agreed to send a new panel free of charge and I agreed to pay the postage. If you have a problem my advice is persevere- and do mention Trading Styandards- it certainly helps!
lisa
Primrose
KG Regular

John, I use exactly the same cloches as you and find them very convenient Have had mine for almost 30 years now and some of my wire hoops have started to snap at the joints. I too have never been able to track down the supplier to obtain replacements. I keep thinking I will try and find a little engineering company who might be able to weld some new ones up for me. If I find anybody, I'll let you know.
John
KG Regular

Thanks Primrose.

I'm using my cloches now, without any end sections, to cover short rows of cut-and-come-again lettuce - keeps their leaves nice and clean!

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic