Cleaning Poly tunnels

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Spike
KG Regular

I've a Solar Tunnel which is now about 4 years old. It stayed perfectly clean until last year and now has a pretty healthy growth of algae on the outer surface. Last year I cleaned it with soapy water/brush and sponge, but the algae is worse than ever this year. Any suggestions? Snow and frost would probably do it for me but no sign of any yet!
Allan
KG Regular

Wait until it rains then scrub it, it should come clean quite easily then.
Allan
peter
KG Regular

Allan wrote:Wait until it rains then scrub it, it should come clean quite easily then.
Allan

Allan, seriously, what should one use to scrub it?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Tigger
KG Regular

I clean my two tunnels, both inside and out, with a Disinfectant Solution. I do this once a year in January.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I use a soft headed indoor broom to brush my greenhouse clean. I use warm water with a couple of tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda in there. I've no idea why. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :? It does work though. :D
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
darrenc
KG Regular

having twigged what nearly killed my chooks this year i need to know what is suitable to clean the inside of my polytunnel with SPECIAL EMPHASIS on red spider mite. I nuked the chicken shed with JEYES and BARRIER spider mite killer are any of these suitable?
arthur e
KG Regular

Get yourself a raincoat, a souwester and a pressure washer, did mine last year about this time and it was great all summer. It still looks OK at this time but I think I will give it another going over, just used straight tap water.
Arther E
Allan
KG Regular

Our tunnels came clean with just persistent rubbing once they were wet enough.
peter
KG Regular

Allan wrote:Our tunnels came clean with just persistent rubbing once they were wet enough.

What with?

Allan, I asked a serious, polite, on-topic question, it would be nice to have an answer.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Tigger
KG Regular

I use my backpack sprayer on the inside of the tunnels and the jet wash on the outside.
Spike
KG Regular

All these replies sound like hard work, and no guarantee they will last!

There must be some environmentally friendly chemical that will do the job properly?

Armillatox?

Gill
Geoff
KG Regular

I haven't got a polytunnel but I clean the greenhouse by putting warm Jeyes fluid in a sprayer and leaving that on for a few days then washing down with a window brush that has an extending handle and hose connection. I guess it would work just as well on poly as on glass.
Tigger
KG Regular

It doesn't take long Spike - just a couple of hours and I only do them once a year.
Allan
KG Regular

We used just water from the hosepipe but only after the rain had soaked the gunge. So we did the same as Arthur E.
Mole
KG Regular

I have recently used a product called ALGON for cleaning the green stuff from our polytunnel. http://www.algonorganics.co.uk/

You spray it on and leave it. Thats it. Soft brushing may be needed to spread evenly - i didn't bother . After a few days the algae is gone. Do need to have 100% coverage like any product. It does work - I've used it. and is environmentally friendly.

One bottle (about a fiver ) did over 3/4 of our tunnel which is 100 feet long by 20 wide. Used in a backpack sprayer with lance.

Mole
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic