A New Kitchen Garden from a paddock?

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

One last thing from me then Ian, i hope you get as much enjoyment out of your new garden as i do out of gardening in general, your new place really does sound idyllic.
Maybe you could post some photos of your garden on hear in the future :?:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Hannabusses
KG Regular

yeah i can do that for sure, it will most likely be the latter part of the month as we are awaiting broadband delivery and the camera in a box still! :) But i definately will do. Funny thing is im 35 years old but doing all this i feel like a big kid so funny.. our first english breakfast from the aga looking down the garden (before the bullock moment) with organic food was awsome! Next year ill have grown the vegs!! Have to find a way of getting the kids involved i think its a shame these days that children arent as hands on as they used to be im a big NO TV for kids man!
ok so piccys to come!
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I am deeply jealous of you Hannabuses!
Just a couple more things to add - Mole is right about the light excluding stuff - it needs to be thick, at least 1000gsm to do its job.
But I'm wondering if you really need the paddock to produce veggies too, if you already have beds in your main garden? I suppose this coming year will tell.
Maybe you could have pigs on the paddock - Johnboy reckons they'll kill all pernicious weeds. (And just think of all that lovely manure they'll be spreading around for you!) Just a thought. :D
Oh, and please give us reports on how you're getting on. I'd like to do this myself one day and would like to learn from everyone else's mistakes. :lol: Not that YOU'LL make any of course. :D
(Formerly known as 'Organic Freak')
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.
Hannabusses
KG Regular

Hmm my wife and kittens is bad enough let alone some old english pigs! id love that, but no way, and im only there at weekends for a few years so i wont be able to take full control of a group of porkers!. Ill do my best to dig out the camera as soon as i can then u can see what im dealing with! i founf a web site that makes the plastic 1200gsm so ill add to basket and let my wife know its on the way !!
Hannabusses
KG Regular

Hey guys do you want a laugh.. as u know new house new green house keen to get growing as i am !

The deal is i grow all that i can and my wife Michele has agreed to make use of every sngle thing i grow and give her (even if its to be taken to the farmers market). Bless her she has even done a course on preserving/freezing/drying food in the aga etc etc. She even bought me some seeds! Would you say i have my work cut out? pls see below.

1 x ARTICHOKE Green Globe
1 x ASPARAGUS Jersey Knight F1
1 x AUBERGINE Tres Hative de Barbentane
1 x AUBERGINE Violetta di Firenza
1 x AUBERGINE Rosa Bianca
1 x FRENCH BEAN Purple Queen
1 x FRENCH BEAN Triomphe de Farcy
1 x RUNNER BEAN White Emergo
1 x LEAF BEET Rainbow Chard
1 x LEAF BEET Swiss Chard
1 x ITALIAN BROCCOLI Veronica F1
1 x BROCCOLI Bordeaux
1 x BRUSSELS SPROUT (Mid) Igor F1
1 x CABBAGE Advantage F1
1 x CABBAGE Roulette F1
1 x CABBAGE Marner Lagerrot (Storing Red)
1 x CHINESE CABBAGE - Nikko
1 x CHINESE CABBAGE Tatsoi
1 x CARROT Nantes 2 15g
1 x CARROT Amsterdam Forcing
1 x CARROT Resistafly F1
1 x CARROT Flakkee 15g
1 x CAULIFLOWER Skywalker F1
1 x CAULIFLOWER Medaillon F1
1 x CELERIAC Prinz
1 x CELERY Tall Utah
1 x COURGETTE Goldie
1 x COURGETTE Black Forest F1
1 x COURGETTE Rondo di Nizza
1 x COURGETTE Defender F1
1 x CUCUMBER Gerkin Vert Petit de Paris
1 x CUCUMBER Long Maraicher
1 x CUCUMBER Silor
1 x CUCUMBER Flamingo F1
1 x FENNEL Finale
1 x KALE Nero di Toscano
1 x Kale Westland Winter
1 x KOHL RABI Azur Star
1 x KOHL RABI Olivia F1
1 x LEEK Roxton F1
1 x LEEK St. Victor
1 x LETTUCE Pinnokkio
1 x LETTUCE Rubens Red
1 x LETTUCE La Brilliante
1 x LETTUCE Vienna
1 x LETTUCE Belize
1 x LETTUCE Aruba
1 x OKRA Burgundy Red
1 x OKRA Clemsons Spineless
1 x ONION Purplette
1 x ONION Sturon Globe
1 x ONION Long Red Florence
1 x ONION Red Baron
1 x MELON Blenheim Orange
1 x MELON Pasteque a Confiture
1 x PAK CHOI China Choi
1 x PARSLEY Italian Giant
1 x PARSNIP Half Long Guernsey
1 x PEA Douce Provence
1 x PEA Karina
1 x PEA Ezethas Krombek Blauwschok
1 x PEA Weggisser
1 x PEPPER Attris F1
1 x PEPPER Bendigo F1
1 x PEPPER Doux Long des Landes
1 x PEPPER Purple Beauty
1 x HOT PEPPER Boule de Turquie
1 x HOT PEPPER Ring of Fire
1 x HOT PEPPER Habanero
1 x HOT PEPPER De Bresse
1 x PUMPKIN White Large
1 x PUMPKIN Small Sugar
1 x ROCKET Rucola
1 x ROCKET Wild
1 x SPINACH Whale F1 RZ
1 x SQUASH Buttercup
1 x SQUASH Butternut
1 x SQUASH Trombolino
1 x SWEDE Joan
1 x SWEDE Airlie
1 x ORNAMENTAL CORN Strawberry Popcorn
1 x SWEETCORN Double Standard
1 x SWEETCORN Golden Bantam
1 x TOMATO Mexican Honey
1 x TOMATO Red Pear
1 x TOMATO Lily of the Valley
1 x TOMATO Agro F1
1 x TOMATO Olirose
1 x TOMATO Tigerella
1 x TOMATO White Beauty
1 x TURNIP White Globe

soooo what do you think of her choices any clangers?
how will i fare do you think?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Ian and Michele, for once in my life i'm not sure what to say, i think you might be renting another five acres of land, and taking on four more gardeners. :shock: :D :wink:
Thats a pretty impressive list of veg seed, and a good choice as well, but maybe just a little on the large size.
I think you could be right about the farmers market.
Sounds as if Michele thought see was on a clothes shopping expedition. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Hannabusses
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Sounds as if Michele thought see was on a clothes shopping expedition. :wink:

wow sounds like u have a good handle on her! yes thats exactly how she is. Shes very excited about getting home grown vegs just doesnt actually GET that its not quite as easy as ''if u plant it it will grow''.. at least ill be able to be very fussy about what i grow so thats good..
Mr Potato Head

Looks like you'll be needing something like plotcrop! :wink:
Alison
KG Regular

Have you got a neighbour you can seed-swap with?!
I'm going to be ridiculous and suggest another veg! How about growing some climbing French beans for drying? Very good for a busy gardener, as once they are on their wigwam poles, there is no more work till you pick the dry pods on the autumn, and they cook deliciously in the winter with sausages and squash. e.g Borlotti, Nun's Belly Button...
Alison.
Hannabusses
KG Regular

1 x FRENCH BEAN Purple Queen
1 x FRENCH BEAN Triomphe de Farcy

so they arent climbers then ? ahh ok
John
KG Regular

Dear Hannabusses
I'm impressed by your enthusiasm. Good luck in your endeavours. Your seed list is impressive though I'm not sure about all those peppers and courgettes!
Sounds like you've got an ideal place for some chickens - lots of space for them to roam around and do their own thing. Have you thought of this? You will need to separate the hens and the veg though with something like wire netting.
Also with the room you've got, why don't you get some soft fruit planted up. If you do this I'd strongly recommend that you buy in plants from a reputable supplier so that you know that you're starting with quality stock that's disease free.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Hannabusses
KG Regular

Dear Jon,
chickens would be great but Michele doesnt like flappy things and im only there at weekends so not fair on the chickens! Ill work on her of course! shes quite into life at Hannabusses at the mom so you never know.. Fruit though i am keen on i have a south east facing 7ft high wall that last year had sun flowers growing up. I was thinking of putting peaches and plums on that and maybe adding some pears to the small (7 tree) orchard. Sloe's i fancy (guess why), gooseberrys, blueberry(2* pollination etc ect), i have rasberry/blackberry nets still from last owner.. figs ? elderflower? what am i missing? kiwi although i hear do grow here sound to tricky! wallnuts?

complete side track thought ... has anyone tried to grow chinese artichoke?? i had them in a smart restaurant last night and they are pretty good!!(Stachys affinis)
im sure i read somewhere they are easy to grow??
also horseradish i LOVE but i think grow in an old chimney so they dont take over the garden ??

sorry my endless ramble continues
retropants
KG Regular

Hi there hannabusses!
spot on with horseradish control! It'll pop up everywhere unless you keep it in check. In case you haven't had any home grown before..... it's damn hot!!
:lol:
Hannabusses
KG Regular

ooh really i didnt know that !! thats even better news (the hot part not the take over the garden part)
Mr Potato Head

Figs too can grow at an alarming rate if planted in the open. I have mine in a large pot in a sheltered sunny corner and we got three rounds of fruit this year! (Although the last lot were pretty mushy and horrible!) :roll: :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic