B&S Quantum 120000 uneven running

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jensssscar
KG Regular

Clive can you help me out with this?
My Hayter runs unevenly, sort of surges on and off. I have only recently acquired it and in transporting and lifting it, I might have got oil in the carb. There is just a small amount of oil on the air filter, and there dosen't seem to be oil anywhere else. Have you any idea what it might be? Regards M
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
I'm not sure I can help... :oops: I'm not too familiar with newer machines..except for the ones that I have at work.

Certainly all sorts of peculiar ailmments can be inadvertantly afflicted on machines in lifting, transporting or tipping. Cables can get kinked in folding handles, tie straps or ropes can be pulled tight in securing to trailer or whatever that can displace items.
As you suggest an oil fouled air filter can be caused by tipping. On paper filter types if the filter has oil on it may be rendered unservicable and cause choked rich running...and the filter will need replacing. As long as oil quantities are checked and correct... oil in the exhaust and carb should clear with a run.

Tipping on some engines can cause petrol to run into the oil sump which is a worse ailment..due to oil thinning..and potential for mechanical failure if not spotted and rectified.

A work colleague bought a 16" Hayter Hawk?? a few years ago...it suffered occasionally from a rapid hunting/cycling up and down of revs...I think in that case the fixed throttle bracket may have got caught on a bush or some such and had increased the revs from its regular 3100 and this in part led to cycling up and down..although the lack of the usual Hayter blade disc substitued by a lightweight boss on her particular mower model added to the effect.

Sorry not to able to give a defintive answer..it's perhaps one of those ailments where this medium falls down..as you can't beat having the ailing machine right in front of you..to ponder over.

Clive.
jensssscar
KG Regular

Many thanks for your reply. I think I will try changing the filter (although the old one looks pretty serviceable to me) and run it for a while and hope it sorts itself out. M
Clive.
KG Regular

Do be sure to check engine sump oil and that its levels are ok..with ref' to my original reply.

A few spots of oil on a paper filter and it may still work ok..but more than that can cause rich running.

Do not persist in running the mower for long in a hunting or reving up and down mode...better to seek out local professional service agents advice/help rather than inflict any premature wear on it if the mower is a recent purchase and valuable asset.

Clive.
jensssscar
KG Regular

I took it to a local repair shop today. Thanks for your advice
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Jenssscar,
Our mower with the Quantum engine was prone to this and eventually I found that the whole smooth running was determined by the governor that is simply a fan control and by greasing the linkage the problem was solved. However this mower bit the dust a couple of years ago and although I bought another Moundfield Mower I chose a model with a Honda engine and this is a great improvement on the B&S engine.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic