MOVING RASPBERRIES

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

carlseawolf
KG Regular

I HAVE SOME SUMMER RASPBERRIES THAT HAVE BEEN CHOPPED BACK TO GROUND LEVEL TO CLEAR THE PLOT AND I WOULD LIKE TO DIG SOME OF THE ROOTS UP TO STORE SO I CAN CLEAR THE GROUND FOR SOME BEDS AND THEN RE-PLANT THEM BACK AGAIN AFTERWARDS, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS AND STORE THEM UNTIL I NEED TO PUT THEM BACK IN THE GROUND ?
www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf
A seed planted today will make a meal tomorrow
peter
KG Regular

Would have been better if you had some old growth still on them from a handling and locating point of view. :(

Heeling in is what you need to do.
Dig out a trench as if planting a hedge, prepare the soil in the base with some spent potting compost or old growbag, or compost.... you get the picture.

Also mix up what you dig out of the trench with your admixture of choice.

Dig up what you want to move/keep and starting at one end, place them in the trench, pop a plant in, trying to keep it at roughly the level it was in the ground when you dug it up, bung soil in after it, prod with boot, repeat. thus /////////.

Have a look in books or web sites about what to do with your bare rooted hedging plants if delivered when you cannot plant them where you wish to.

Heeling, I guess from using your heel to firm the soil and hold them there. Come on someone tell me the real orogin of the phrase.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
carlseawolf
KG Regular

when i said ground level they have about 6" of growth above the ground so i can locate them easy enought just want to remove them for a couple of months and then re-plant .
will i be able to dig them up and put the root ball in carries bags
richard p
KG Regular

it would be best to clear and make the beds where the raspberries are going , move them and then clear where they came from, ie do the clearing and bed making in two halves.

if you must store them either just pop the roots in a slit trench so the roots are covered in soil, they wont try to grow much untill march. if you want to store them out of the ground. in a frost free shed wrapped in damp sacking or newspapers may work, in plastic they will probably go mouldy or rot.
carlseawolf
KG Regular

thank you for the information
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic