BUTTERNUTS NOW ?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Piglet
KG Regular

Wellie, I was put onto them by Chez who has grown them for a number of years, here and in New Zealand. They are an attractive blue grey colour, grow to a size that is useable (between 3-6Kg), keep until the following April May time and taste beautiful.

Like Peter I will be ramping up my production of them for next year too. You can take one home with you next week to try for yourself. Form 3 plants this year I got 12 pumpkins and they were grown in amongst my sweetcorn.
Kindest Regards, Piglet

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
Wellie
KG Regular

That's an exceedingly kind and generous offer Piggie, and one that I shall be taking up !! See you Saturday then...
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Tigger
KG Regular

I've got a few recipes for Butternuts/or similar that you might like. Do you want me to post them?
Wellie
KG Regular

Ooh, go on then, you smooth-talking Tigger you...
Any sign of Paradiso Seasons yet ??! He's got some FAB recipes for pumpkin/squashy type stuff....
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
peter
KG Regular

Crown Prince easily average 4kg.
Tough skinned.
Wonderful flavour.
Wonderful texture.
Keep for ages, I've managed over a year, but this year only eleven months.
Reliable, always get fruits, always germinates (by my method at any rate.).
Cooks beautifully, take out a plug round the stem, scoop out the seeds, put the cleaned plug back in and bake, the base might take alot longer as the juices sit on it as they steam the rest. Can also chunk it, quarter, de-seed, skin 1/4 by knife down to chopping block, then turn 1/4 over and repeat.

Downside, seed is expensive.

But look at these next to a baked bean tin

Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
peter
KG Regular

My squasj plot this year was 20' x 30', I planted about twenty five plants.
The butternut were a disaster, only got about six fruits.
Total harvested fruits fifty.
See previous post, for Wellie, for photo of some Crown Prince and Vegetable Spagetti.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

Wellie
KG Regular

Oh God, now I'm jealous Peter....

How on EARTH did you manage to grow such a PERFECT can of Heinz Beans ?!
peter
KG Regular

Well, germination was a bit difficult........

Wellie
KG Regular

No, well done you....
What a superb crop ! and I'm definitely going to grow some next year. Presumably they come true from saved seed ?
We're talking Crown Prince now of course, not Heinz !
peter
KG Regular

Fraid not, F1.

Wellie
KG Regular

oh, rude word ! But I'm convinced to grow it, so will share seed with Alison or Piglets maybe...
Thank you Peter, so much ! ...
You DO make me larf by the way....!
peter
KG Regular

Wellie, it is six, repeat six seeds per packet at £1.99 per packet.
:oops:

Alison
KG Regular

Dear Peter,
Wow, what a great crop of Crown Prince! I only managed two years ago to get 2 fruits on a plant. What is the other variety, please?

Last year 2005 was a very poor year, owing to huge slug crop. :cry: The year before that was the first year in our new veg garden and I put squashes everywhere and got 67! Jaspee de Vendee was incredibly prolific, which is a pale yellow one, but I actually found I don't like the yellow ones as much as the deep orange ones, so I haven't planted it again. However, this year a plant suddenly turned up in the middle of the sprouts and turned out to be Jaspee - presumably self-sown from two years ago!

My utter favourite is Ushiki Kuri, reasonably tough and prolific and lovely flavour. I have a lot of a little black one this year - Gemstore, I think - one of which I cooked last week and nearly took a finger off trying to cut through the skin!

The acorn squashes keep very well, but again I don't like the flavour as much as Ushiki and Crown Prince. This year I am ordering a special offer bundle from Edwin Tuckers, consisting of Ushiki Kuri, Harlequin, Buttercup, Turk’s Turban, Table Gold, Golden Delicious, Rolet-Gem, Black Futsu, Baby Bear, Jack Be Little. (Wellie, please note!!) I'm going to follow Wellie's tip of growing them up an arch, plus try one on a wigwam, plus put some on the compost heaps. Apparently they are also happy to roam around under sweetcorn, so I shall try that too. Any other tips on flavour or growing successfully would be great!
Alison.
Wellie
KG Regular

Hi !

I'm learning a lot from this thread....
And Alison, I've never even HEARD of half of those pumpkins and squashes ! Trouble is, I can only grow 'so much' each year, and have to pick and choose the best of the rest, with limited space - unlike YOU, you lucky lady !! But then I can always pop in and ADMIRE YOURS in your rather lovely Kitchen Garden.... :wink:

I'll write those names down and look them up....
It really IS a great trick growing the smaller individual-sized winter squashes upwards, and it looks fabulously pretty (particularly Sweet Dumpling)
peter
KG Regular

Alison, the yellow ones are Vegetable Spagetti, best baked as they don't get so wet.

Wellis, a space efficient one with better falvour even than Crown Prince, is Delicata. Like like stripy slugs, but taste divine. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic