McCulloch strimmer going for free ( because it's s***)

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Di
KG Regular

I bought a McCulloch strimmer about two years ago, and frankly its been crap. The revolving cutting head smoked, melted and on one occasion actually flew off so it spent a large proportion of its working season last year in the repair shop, (three times).
I had no joy from B&Q where I bought it or when I suggested at the designated repair centre that I should get a replacement. Now the pull cord has stops retracting and while I'm sure that's repairable I've lost patience and would rather put the money towards a new one - from a different manufacturer! :x

So if anyone out there in the Bristol area, (with patience, optimism and some mechanical know-how) would like a semi functioning strimmer please get in contact.
I don't want any money for it, but if you can afford a small donation to my favourite charity that would be appreciated.
John
KG Regular

Hello Di
Sorry to hear about your strimmer probs. If you're thinking of a replacement, I'd go for a Stihl. Mine has never let me down and still purrs away like a new machine after many years of use.

John
Kev
KG Regular

I have used a Mc c. strimmer for the last ten years and never had any problems with it, it's only a cheap small one with the bent type shaft but it does the job ok.
I also have a Mc C. chainsaw which has been nothing short of excellent it starts first pull even after leaving it for months.
My tip of the day to make small engines last :- is get a compressor and regularly blow all the bits of sawdust/grass whatever,out of the engine.
Kev
Di
KG Regular

Thanks for the replies, I will be considering a stihl, the cost being the only problem... but I have never had any trouble with their products.

Kev, I appreciate that not all of McCullochs strimmers are duff, but it was the lack of customer care which also pissed me off. The engine is fine, it hasn't had a chance to wear out, and while there was part of me that want to let off steam about it, I do sincerely hope someone can give it a good home. I hate sending stuff to landfill, and this house ain't big enough for two strimmers.
peter
KG Regular

Di, freecycle it on your local group.
You'll get your hand bitten off. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic