Oven Dried Toms

Delicious (we hope!) recipes from you the reader!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sandersj89
KG Moderator

We have been storing tomatoes for year now by drying them to create something akin to sun dried toms you can buy in the shops. In most years we have used a low oven, at about 80 degrees Celsius but this year have bought a cheap food dehydrator and I am very pleased with the results.

So, this is how I do it:

Start with a selection of spare tomatoes,

This is a mix of sungold, marmande, ferline and tumbler. I will dry any tomato but there are meant to be varieties more suited.

I then half or quarter the tomatoes and lay them on the drying racks, some people remove the seeds but I do not bother,

If you use an oven lay them of a metal rack in a baking tray to catch any drips.

I then sprinkle over some mixed herbs and a few twists of Malden sea salt.

Then into the dryer,

And the waiting begins, the smaller fruits are ready in about 6 hours, the larger will take up to 12 hours, I wait until they have lost most of their fluid,

Most of these need a bit longer,

Then they are stored in sterilised jars covered in olive oil,

These are stored in a dark cool place and will keep up to 12 months, if you don’t eat them all in a few weeks as they are very morish on their own or are great in stews and pasta sauces.

We normally aim to make about a dozen jars, the last of last years has just been opened and it is still fine.

HTH

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Wellie
KG Regular

Last time I posted up on a similar thread, TKG stepped in jolly sharpish to remind people that preserving in oil was NOT recommended, and they didn't advocate it as what the commercial bods do with preserving as opposed to us Jo Public, is streets apart, and I 'half' agree.
So can we just remind people of the potential 'dangers' involved here in terms of health, before a big slap on the wrist ensues maybe...?!

I just LOVE doing the same with the Tomatoes, but after drying in the Raeburn, I freeze them....
Still LOADS of flavour, and none of the water content that you'd get with none-semi-dried (i.e. fresh frozen). This year, mostly, I shall be drying ROMANO cordon plum tomatoes, which are SO fat an juicy on the vines, ready for harvesting in a few days at their VERY ripest now...

Wellie
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Hi Wellie

Thanks for that, we have never had a problem, still in rude health!!!

But we will take care I assure you.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic