It's thundering, but will it rain?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

lizzie
KG Regular

Hey Vivien

My partner was in Bournemouth last Sunday to do the pier to pier swim. He managed it but was completely whacked. He said it was a great atmosphere with everyone cheering on the competitors. He managed to raise about £400 for Macmillan Nurses
Lots of love

Lizzie
Vivien
KG Regular

Fantastic, Lizzie. Give him my congratulations - excellent cause, too. I don't suppose the fact that it chucked down in the late morning made any difference to him if he was in the briny anyway! It's a very respectable distance between the two piers - doubly so when swimming in the sea. Respect.
Best wishes,
Vivien
Vivien
KG Regular

Sorry Lizzie - I thought it was Saturday, not Sunday. No chucking down with rain then! Duuuh!
Tigger
KG Regular

We're still waiting for a drop of rain! Other parts of the Midlands had some on Tuesdat evening and/or yesterday evening, but not us.
Franksmum
KG Regular

Hi all - no rain in Birmingham for a while either, thought it was going to tip down yesterday but it didn't (good job as we were at outdoor theatre last night). Desperately need some, the grass looks like straw.

Jenny & Lizzie you're not alone in your weirdness, I love watching storms & so does Frank - he sits on the windowsill and watches with me. Best storm I saw was from the top of a cliff in Wales, storm was about 2 miles out to sea - it was FAB!!!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

At the big house where iv'e been working today, they have a really old Scotts pine, it had about half the top blown out two years ago, but still has a nice shape. But last night it got struck by lightning and has split it from top to bottom. It's about fifty foot tall, and near the swimming pool so it will have to be taken down bit by bit. A job for a lumber jack i think, or a tree surgeon as they call themselves now. :wink:
I gave the tree a big hug and got quite a buzz. :shock: It will be a shame when it,s gone.
I wonder what i could put in it's place. :?:
I know dahlias, i love dahlias. :D

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Hi Franksmum. Glad to hear there are more weirdos out there. I think for really amazing storms you need to go abroad. I was in Laos once and watched the storm of my lifetime so far. The sky literally turned on and off like a giant torch or something. Breathtaking.
Herby, sorry to hear about the demise of the old Scot's Pine. Can I be girly and suggest something like the tulip tree or paper hankerchief tree as a replacement? Can't think of the botanical names at the moment (or probably ever) but these are two trees I've always wanted to grow but never had the space for.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Jenny, Davidia involucrata (Handkerchief Tree) and Liriodendron tuipifera (Tulip Tree).
Both are spectacular trees, i will pass this suggestion on to M,Lady, i'm sure she will be visably impressed. :wink:
Thanks for your suggestions.

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Current boss lives five miles down the road into London from me. While I was enjoying the lightning and he was driving home also admiring the storm, his house took a direct hit. :(

Six people at home, all OK.
Main fabric of house, OK.
Main service conduit, blown to bits.
Cooker, blown up, LED stuck in opposite wall.
Four TV's, dead.
Four DVD's, dead.
Surround sound system, dead.
Boiler dead.
All other electrics dead, but basic light and power resurrected.
Insurance assessor due out Thursday.

Localised flooding and the airport cancelled or diverted about thirty or forty flights. :shock:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Wow Peter. That's terrible! At least no one was hurt.
Chantal
KG Regular

Blimey Peter, that sounds like an absolute nightmare; poor family.

The forecast for Rugby is rain by the end of the day :D so I'm off the plot to get some work done whilst the sun still shines. 8)
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
pillbug
KG Regular

Just 5mins of rain here but a cool wonderful breeze spilling off the clouds which are off to rain somewhere ealse.
Tigger
KG Regular

Peter - we've been hit by lightening twice. Last year wasn't too bad, only lost PC, TV and a few other bits of equipment. First time was a total nightmare as it stripped out the earth, so everything made of metal in the house was live. We only discovered it when I went into the shower and touched the metal fittings. This isn't the place to describe what happened afterwards, but it's one of Lyndon's favourite after dinner topics! :oops:
submariner
KG Regular

We had lots of welcome rain on Saturday, but when I decided, on Sunday to do some tidying up, found that the rain had only penetrated about 2" at most. We really do need lots more.
Love veg!
Chantal
KG Regular

Tigger, please pm me the details, I need a good laugh. :lol:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic