Beetroot

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mazmezroz
KG Regular

Have noticed also in the bathroom department that one's liquid waste tends towards the pink spectrum. Hmmm......

Have been enjoying my very first ever tastes of beetroot, simply roasted in a little bit of water or olive oil depending on how decandent I feel, sliced or chunked, then spread with generous amounts of goats cheese (a la Nigel Slater) or Somerset Brie. Yummy in the extreme.

Never knew beetroot could taste so good (have only ever been subjected to the pickled variety which I hated with a vengance).
Chantal
KG Regular

Be aware that it's not just the "liquid" waste that can turn beetroot coloured! :oops:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
bottomleypots
KG Regular

This is a nice recipe for beetroot chutney-very good at Christmas with cold meats.

3lbs beetroot
1.5 lbs of cooking apples
2 large onions
.5 lb of sugar
1 pint vinegar
teaspoon of ground ginger
juice of a lemon

Boil beetroot, skin ,then chop into small cubes when cold. Cut up apple and onions and boil in the vinegar and all the other ingredients for 20 mins. Add the diced beetroot and boil for 15 mins.
Bottle when cold.
"An hour digging is better than two hours in the Gym"
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi BP, could you post this great looking recipe under its own heading in Recipes? It'll get lost in this thread and it's too good to lose. :D
Chantal

skip
KG Regular

I have roasted small beetroot in tinfoil, whole with skins & tops on & a good splash of balsamic vinegar & some herbs ... they are incredibly sweet (which I loved & my partner found too sweet) - the skins just fall off so are easy to remove for serving.

Theres also a great recipe for salad, with cooked & cooled beetroot, rocket leaves & feta mixed together ... a Hugh Fernley one.
cevenol jardin
KG Regular

In Italy, the locals in the village my friends live in, roast the beets whole with the skins on in the embers of a wood fire. The skins become charred and the flesh has a delicious taste. They are served with the skins rubbed off and salted with a squeeze of orange juice. We have tried it in the embers of our autumn burings and they were great. You can also just boil them skin on, cool peel and season with the orange. I also have a recipe for spicy beetroot soup which is one of our favourites and is posted on our website.
http://www.masdudiable.com/fluxit/mdd.nsf/dx/beetroot-soup.htm
Chantal
KG Regular

I clean and roast my beetroot and eat it with the skin on. :D
Chantal

Beryl
KG Regular

This evening I peeled 'new crop' beetroot sliced thinly and and cooked it on my George Foreman grill with some sliced celeriac - delicious and so easy.

Beryl
nickyk
KG Regular

A friend of mine kept doctors busy with her unusual bizarre outputs. They almost suggested putting her affairs in order on the third occasion when a nurse asked if she'd eaten beetroot the day before!
Beryl
KG Regular

My son-in-law was the same Nicky when I first introduce him to beetroot. He had never eaten it before - never seen a grown man in such a panic. He thought his days were numbered too.

Chuckle chuckle.....

Beryl.
Tigger
KG Regular

The first time I gave them to my OH as a hot veg, he screamed from the loo - "call an ambulance". Bless.
Chantal
KG Regular

Happened to me too. It was four weeks before I made the connection and I too thought I was on the way out. :lol:
Chantal

Colin_M
KG Regular

Another use: grated fresh beetroot in salads.

I had some today in some Bulgar (cracked wheat), seasoned with lemon, olive oil, mint, spring onions, chopped tomatoes, parsley etc

Mmmmmmm :)

Colin
Franksmum
KG Regular

Does anyone have the new James Martin Great British Village Show book? (I bought it to ogle at yet more pics of him) but there's a recipe in there for beetroot bread or flatbread with beetroot or something. I'm at work or I would copy it in.

I personally can't stand the stuff and avoid it at all costs!!!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
Do you mean uncooked Beetroot?
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic