First attempt at growing Rocket

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Happymouse
KG Regular

I have tried growing Rocket for the first time this year. Only a tiny patch about 3 x 2 ft. It has lovely white 4 petaled flowers on it. Is it going to seed already ? It doesn't look big enough to eat. I was expecting it to grow like lettuce and be a lot bigger ?
peter
KG Regular

Happymouse, ripped mine out Thursday as it was flowering, eaten at the size of a small oakleaf is best.
However even at the size I binned you can strip the new/smaller leaves up near the flowers. The smell of rocket is just so gorgeous, rich uuummmm. :D

Will be sowing some more this weekend I hope.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Zena
KG Regular

I've sown some too, but nothing's happening yet...
fingers crossed!
Carole B.
KG Regular

If you want a nice zingy leaf for your salad that's not as much trouble as rocket try French Sorrel,sown in pots to pick young or as a permanant clump in the garden. It doesn't suffer from flea beetle or bolt at the first sign of hot weather and it even makes a good soup! The leaves have a fresh lemony tang and you don't need many to perk up a salad.
tracie
KG Regular

you are right its not very big, you will need to sow more as it bolts very quickly
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
Happymouse
KG Regular

The Rocket flowers look lovely in a small glass vase on the patio table. I will try growing them again next year now that you have helped me understand them. Thank you all
Tigger
KG Regular

It will bolt in this heat. Very little you can do to stop it, apart from a perennial soaking.

can I suggest you try a mixed leaf salad or a spicy mixed leaf - both of which are just doing fine!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tigger,
May I enquire what a perennial soaking is?
JB.
Happymouse
KG Regular

Thank you. I will try the alternatives. I am pleased to find the slugs ignored the Rocket. Maybe I will grow it again as a slug deterrent
Tigger
KG Regular

If onlt I knew JB! :oops:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic