Carrot root fly

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Brenjon
KG Regular

I intend to sow a last crop of carrots. Would it be safe to leave them unprotected with netting or is the carrot root fly still active. I am tempted to try them now without protection by just eathing them up when they have germinated. advice appreciated
Regards Brenjon
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Brenjon,
If you have got the means to cover them then please take my advice and cover up. I know it is said that they have strict breeding cycles but I have never found that to be exactly acurate. At present I am pulling the final thinings on my experiment on Early Nantes grown in a raised bed covered and they are coming up beautifully straight without any blemishes.
I have also started pulling thinnings on the same experiment with Autumn King and they are the same.
I expect to turn orange at any time now.
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

If now isn't the ideal time to sow and avoid the carrot root fly then a lot of HRI scientists have got it wrong. I shall continue to use the current window of opportunity. If you can sow sufficiently thinly to avoid having to thin out later it would be an extra insurance.
Allan
Johnboy
KG Regular

Allan,
Nobody, least of all me, is suggesting that what you have read from HRI reports is incorrect. What they say is that there are three main breeding periods of CRF but they do not discount CRF breeding at any time during the whole season. CRF can, and invariably do, attack an established crop and it is for this very reason that I have advised Brenjon to the best of my knowledge to keep his Carrots covered. It's all very well to poo poh the advise of others, as you seem often to do, and the polices that you persue are your own affair. That is of no assistance to Brenjon and whereas I am endeavouring to be of general assistance you are more bothered with being quarrelsome.
If you were to answer Brenjons question giving him the benefit of your advice, which he may prefer, may well be the better way to help instead of hindering.
JB.
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Belt and braces for me, cover with fleece bfrom the day of sowing. Not only does this help reduce fly attack but it provides for a better growing environment and reduced moisture loss. I have followed this rule for the last few years and it works.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic