Quails

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

cherrycoop
KG Regular

Having got the 'grow your own' incubating bug, I recently hatched 6 quails which are now 4 weeks old - they will be going out into an aviary next week and am in the process of incubating some more. Does anybody have quails and can they advise me if they can stay out over winter - obviously they will be well sheltered but not heated? Any hints and tips would be appreciated.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Cherrycoop,
I have never raised or kept any Quail but the only person I know who does is such a mean sod he hardly heats himself and I cannot even contemplate him wasting money heating them. I take it that these are Japanese Quail and originally they would be used to the cold. Japan is not quite as hot a country as most people believe in fact it, on the whole, is colder than here. I think that given shelter they will be fine.
JB.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I would love to keep quail but would be torturing myself with the constant temptation to eat them!
maree t
KG Regular

hi i have bred all types and the japanese are the larger sort. i never kept them heat over the winter just gave plenty of shelter and never had a problem
maree t
Johnboy
KG Regular

JENNY GREEN!! Wash your mouth out!!
And I thought you were Vegetarian.
Sincerely, Johnboy.
cherrycoop
KG Regular

Maree T and Johnboy thanks so much for your input on this - much relieved as I was worried how I was going to provide heating in winter. Jenny Green you get really attached to these funny little birds that for the moment egg production is all I am after - my son however is very definately thinking on the same lines as you!
Diane
KG Regular

I have chinese painted quail in an indoor birdroom - unheated - and they are fine.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
cherrycoop
KG Regular

More advise needed! I have 4 hens and two cocks - have had to take one cock out as they were really fighting and now have a solitary bird - free to a good home as I do not have the space to keep another aviary. Also had my first egg yesterday - not bad at all as the hens are only 6 weeks old. Big disappointment with my last attempt to incubate eggs - the extreme temperatures of last week meant the incubator was overheating and I am afraid the eggs got 'coddled' - will wait until end of August before trying again. All that side, the quails are great fun and I spend far too much time watching their antics!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic