FLIES

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Compo
KG Regular

Not strictly a gardening one this.... My bungalow is a typical one of the 1960s, now it is modernised we have wide soffits and bargeboards, guttering and UPVC windows all white, this seems to attract flies by the dozen, which get in the house and wind OH up something chronic. I think it is the white, as I have seen similar hoards on white guard rails at a local beach, they seem to love settling on smooth white surfaces.

Anyone know of a good way of deterring them? We have fly control inside, swatters, sprays etc, but for outside?? Does anyone know anything about the attraction of the colour white and flies and any form of outdoor fly control??

Thanks in advance

Lord of the flies.........alias Compo
Last edited by Compo on Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Compo
KG Regular

Bloody thousands of em today and its not even that hot!! any ideas yet folks?

Compo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
peter
KG Regular

Fly paper?

One of those UV fly killers you used to see in shops?

I always find myself covered in little black beetles if I wear my yellow T-shirt. :evil: The sort you find inside daffodils and nasturtiums.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Chantal
KG Regular

I use those stick on sunflowers from Vapona which seem to work well. It's just a sticker for the window with some sort of poison on it; the flies are attracted to the yellow and when they touch it they die shortly afterwards. You get two in a pack and they last for a whole season. Apart from the heaps of dead flies to sweep up there's no smell and fumes to breathe in as with the spray.

You could also get those window and door fly screens which may help. I know Lakeland sell them for windows at least http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/produc ... !6807_3387 and Lidl did have them in for doors and windows earlier this year. You'd find them somewhere on the web thats for sure.

Hope this helps :?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Compo,
We suffer with flies that breed by the thousand in our roof loft space. My property has a slate roof and is exceedingly old but I dont think that makes much difference as my mate who lives in a 1960's Chalet Bungalow has them everywhere including all his built in wordrobes at this present time.
He is using fly spray in the house and hoovering them up when they are dead going round room by room.
He has been doing this for more than a week and still they come. This of course is of no consolation to you but it does show you that you are not alone having this occurence.
As for a solution well I have not got the foggiest idea how to combat them.
JB.
Chantal
KG Regular

Aldi are selling window and door fly screens from Sunday 25 June http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/ :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Carole B.
KG Regular

For outdoors try either a jam jar half filled with jammy water to attract and drown or encourage your local bats!or swallows or housemartins.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic