What's my weed?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

peter
KG Regular

I get loads of this every year.
It can grow to two foot at most and is a colour that has not come over very well in the photos. A sort of blue-grey tinted green, willowish dare I say.Image

No it's not a puzzle, I do not know and would like to.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Peter,
It looks very much like Fat Hen but is certainly from the Chenopodium (Goose Foot) family of weeds. It may turn out to be Orache but if you allow it to seed you will have it forever and a day. It is edidle at the young stage (as shown) and Orache is reputed to have been brought here by the Romans as a source of food.
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning Peter, they look like fat hen to me to.
The good thing about this weed it's easy to pull the large ones out and hoe the smaller ones, unless your ground is very heavy.
On the theme of the Romans, you could always make a Caesar salad from it. :wink:
Sorry about that i couldn't resist it. :D

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Deb P
KG Regular

I don't know what it is called, but I do know I had a sudden invasion of it from a batch of manure a couple of years ago, that wasn't as well rotted as I thought and hadn't heated up enough to kill the weed seeds!

It's made an appearance ever since....lesson learnt about waiting and stacking manure for a while!
Jude
KG Regular

I think it's fat hen, too. I also had a lot introduced with a load of manure.
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
peter
KG Regular

Thanks for that.

But it is NOT easy to pull up on my clay, it breaks within an inch of the ground. :cry:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Carole B.
KG Regular

I have that problem too Peter,I find you have to catch it early and just scrape a hoe across it as the stumps of big ones re-grow and it cuts your fingers rather than let go of the clay if you try to pull it!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic