Pest identification

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Glory B
KG Regular

Can someone please tell me what this is on poppy leaf and also if it is serious....as I've said before I didn't think poppies succumbed to pests and diseases...at least not in a big way. The rest of plant is doing pretty well and I don't wanna spoil that. I'm sure I've seen this on chrysanthemums in the past.

Many thanks,
Glory B
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

My dear Glory B, you do get some problems.
It looks very much like a leaf miner of some sort, you are quite correct in saying that you have seen them on chrysanthemums, you clever old thing :wink:
You also get them on celery, beet,delphinium, holly and lilac.
But i have never seen them on poppies before, with this and the slug damage you really are quite unique. :shock:
If it is only on one or two leaves i would just cut them off cleany, so as to leave it pleasing to the eye. :wink:
If it does return you might have to resort to spraying, but i don't think this will be the case if you are vigilant. 8)

Kind regards the old Herbal Remedy.

This hot weather makes my hair rustle like pea straw.
Glory B
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:My dear Glory B, you do get some problems. But i have never seen them on poppies before, with this and the slug damage you really are quite unique. :shock:

Ah! thanks Herbal that's very kind of you to say so. :D

I had to take this out of the ground to grow in pot because of slug damage as you say....I'll cut off leaves but should I have to spray, what do you suggest with? I've read that poppies don't take kindly to pesticides etc.. :(

Thanks for your reply Herbal,
Warmest regards,
Glory B
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Glory B,
I think you might try to get rid of them by removing the effective leaves and burning them and you might just contain the outbreak. Only a thought mind.
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

To the glorious Glory B, i'm afraid i am unable to supply you with the information you request, i do not resort to using pesticides, so don't really know which one would be appropriate for your problem.
I normally just pick off diseased leaves or squash any aphids or the like.
I know this means you will have to turn to someone else for your information, but i will be hear ready and waiting for your next problem. :shock: :wink:

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Glory B
KG Regular

Thanks Johnboy....you make it sound serious when you say to burn it! :shock: (actually it was just the one leaf thank goodness) Anyway I'd better go get it out of the dustbin and deal with it.
Thanks Johnboy. :wink:

Best regards,
Glory B
Glory B
KG Regular

Oh! Herbal you've taken me back now...it's years since I've been called 'glorious!'

Sorry for mentioning the word pesti...sshh...I had no idea you were totally organic. 8)
You're obviously no 'girl's blouse' either when it comes to squashing 'aphids and the like'...does this go for slugs too? No, don't tell me, can't bear to think of it.
You must find my Organic Bug Spray invaluable...I know I do. :lol:
Anyway it's comforting to know you'll be there for me when the next problem arises....which with my record won't be long. :roll:

Best wishes Herbal,
Glory B
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear glamorous Glory B.
I'm not totaly organic as i have several fillings. :wink:

It will either rain or get dark.
Zena
KG Regular

Still got your own teeth, then Herby? Not bad for a man of your age....
Being posh, I expect your fillings are gold, too :shock:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

My dear Zena, i would rather think of myself as well bred rather than posh :wink:

Never above you, never below you, but always beside you.
Wellie
KG Regular

Hi Glory B !

You've had probs too, eh?

I've had very similar, but not quite the same. Previous years certain crops have suffered with Leaf Miner, but THIS year my Leaf Beet Spinach and Maincrop Beetroot (and even some of the Little Gem Lettuces) are absolutely riddled with BLOTCH Miner.

Trousers and I looked it up in my Insects Book to find out the difference, and anyway, it's a moth culprit, and I'm totally fed up with it now. If your lovely old herbaceous brings you luck, no chance of the odd 'borrow' I suppose?!

Lots of Luck,
Wellie
Glory B
KG Regular

Hi Wellie....hope you're keeping well.
Sorry to hear about probs and of course you would have them when the 'lovely' Herbal is away!
I too have worries about beetroot crop...blotches on most of leaves.
Have been looking on-line but can't find a pic that matches up.
I did wonder if it was because of always watering over leaves but I expect it's something more serious. :(
They've been in just over 4 weeks so can't really ignore it can I?

Best regards Wellie,
Glory B

PS I may attempt to make the very sought after 'Wellie Jelly'...Johnboy rates it very highly....will let you know the outcome. :lol:
Wellie
KG Regular

Hi Glory B !

In some books, it's referred to as 'blistered' leaves, where the grub tunnels into the leaf tissue etc. etc. and JB's quite right, it's best to burn or get the affected leaves RIGHT OFF your plot altogether. My books say that it's most detrimental to young plants, and that in severe attacks, it can kill the young plant, but keep it in perspective and remove leaves as seen first, before any drastic action. The worst attacks happen during May, so let's just wait and see if removing the worst sorts the problem out, no?

Kindests,
Wellie
X
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Wellie
KG Regular

It's completely nothing to do with you watering 'over' the plants, honestly it isn't...

And you WILL absolutely love the welly jelly. I'm making this years' storecupboard stash this weekend !
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic