Grow Your Own Drugs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

Easy recipes for natural remedies and beauty fixes by James Wong.

I like James Wong and always enjoy his columns in newspapers. Husband was dropping off some stuff in our usual charity shop and spotted this book, based on a BBC series and published a long time ago (2009) and he bought it for me. I don't do beauty stuff. Haven't even worn make-up since the 1970s. Don't see the point and I don't like the artificial look.

Anyway, this book is interesting. You can make a varicose vein treatment out of conkers. (Don't ingest.) Juniper is good for urinary tract infections and can lower blood pressure. I'm glad that I don't suffer from nearly all of the complaints/diseases the book gives you cures for. But it really is fascinating to learn so much about plants most of us take for granted.

We bought seeds yesterday so I can make a start on my container herb garden. Parsley can cure wind as well as being an insect repellent. Wow, I never knew that. How have I survived so long without this type of information? :D
Myrkk
KG Regular

I love James Wong and also have his book. It’s amazing what you can use that we just pass by each day. My favourite is Hawchup. A ketchup substitution I make out of haws. The most beautiful fushia colour and good for your heart health.
I did my PGDip presentation on them. The research into it is quite fascinating, so many compounds that are showing promising effects. One odd bit of info I came across during the research was that apple pips are toxic, in large enough quantities, fatally. Now how many pips have we all swallowed in our lifetimes lol.
Stravaig
KG Regular

I don't even know what a haw is. :lol:
Geoff
KG Regular

Fruit of the HAWthorn
Myrkk
KG Regular

Sorry my bad Stravaig. As Geoff said and as I think are shown in his profile pic. The lovely red berries you get on the hawthorn bush in autumn. They’re wonderful for heart health.
Geoff
KG Regular

Profile pic is a crab apple called "Gorgeous".
Myrkk
KG Regular

Ah yes, now I’m on a bigger screen I can see the leaves better lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic