We're moving to Scotand

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Best of luck Stravaig! Both buying and selling in the property market is a stressful actvity. It,s amazing how much " clutter" you acquire over the years although I suspect with the number of times you've moved recently you've probably got it down to a fine art!
Stravaig
KG Regular

We've got a very lovely house to rent for a year, while we find somewhere to buy. :D Wow! It's a nice house.

So we can get a herb garden and whatever else into containers and take it with us when we move on. So happy! I've really missed having a garden however small.

Yippee aye oh aye... 8)
Myrkk
KG Regular

Welcome Home Stravaig
Primrose
KG Regular

If you really like the house you're about to rent why not approach the landlord and see if he'd interested in selling it to you at some point in yiur tenancy?
Stravaig
KG Regular

Home? Well it's the right country. :D But I'm a Teuchter (NE) and this is Greater Glasgow (SW).

We still have the AirBnB. Our furniture, etc, gets delivered to the house on Friday. The house owner has converted the double garage into rooms, which is exactly what I would have done. And now we have a year to decide what's next. Buy (and go for equity release) or keep renting (you can't take it with you).

When we lived in India we, and most of our neighbours, never put our vehicles in our garages. We tended to drive 4x4s - big boxes on wheels and the garage doors weren't tall enough to permit entry. We also had a lovely large kitchen but it had a leprechaun's oven because the house had been designed by a woman whose culture didn't really 'get' ovens. (Try making Yorkshire puddings in a tiny oven that doesn't heat above 180. ) :)

I feel more relaxed than I have in a long time. I'm torn between the ideas of sleeping for a week or bashing on with making this house our home. I have four large containers for plants but no idea where the seeds are, and I want a herb garden ASAP. I'm not a meany old Scot that won't spend money but why waste it buying stuff like parsley and chives from a supermarket when you can so easily grow it yourself?

We've already put our gargoyle - a little statue thing we bought at a farmers' market - in the front garden. It doesn't seem the kind of place where it would get nicked.

Husband will drive me to the house after lunch and I'll try to make myself useful, unpacking and stuff. This feels like freedom compared to how we were living before.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,

The thought had occurred to me but I've already rejected the idea.

a) It's new build and not really my kind of place for a permanent home.

and

b) Husband's work is only a few minutes walk away BUT the 'office' is moving, supposedly next year, which is likely to mean it might happen in 2026 or 2027. So, when it does happen it'll be a lot less convenient a location for a lot of staff. Some are feeling quite disgruntled because they've bought homes in this particular area and now it seems the office is relocating. You couldn't make this up.

And the bustards looted what had been our home in Kyiv. And now they keep telling me to shut up and go away. No, I don't think I want to do that. :twisted:

(The looting - we left certain belongings behind which couldn't be shipped for various legal and logistical reasons. We fully expected to participate in the disposal of these, and we were told that this would happen. We'd have been happy to give some things to friends/colleagues and sell some stuff as a donation to the Ukrainian army. It didn't happen. Instead, certain people went into what had been our home and disposed of our belongings. No one was smart enough to keep a record of what had been done. It really was an appalling lack of professionalism. No one thought to record what was given or sold to whom and for how much cash. They are so arrogant and unaccountable. But when I say they had no right to dispose of our possessions in that way they say I am trying to play the blame game. Oh and by the way, they did eventually provide the information that it was a "significant amount". Oh wow, and that makes me feel better? I shall write - yet another - letter to them today. ) :evil:

We have managed to glean a few snippets. The contents of our drinks cabinet, which we photographed and documented as being worth £430 (we did host a lot of parties) were deemed to be worthless and the worse-than-useless-packers (who did really stupid stuff) were told they could have it. A £430 tip for doing a cr@p job. You can't wonder why I'm so angry about it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic