Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Your bar charts are really good to look at, Geoff, so thank you!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

From recall, we had a dry June when we were wishing it to rain, then we got to St Swithun's day in July and it did indeed rain....then for the rest of the year we wished it would stop raining...

Sunshine today... :)
...just don't look at the overnight forecast though...high possibility of heavy rain listed for 6 hrs.

Lincolnshire born and bred, web footed and yellow bellied...so it is said.. ;)

C.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff,

It's great to see it presented formally so you can do comparisons. I don't recall 2020 being so wet, but maybe because it wasn't consistent for so long? 2023 seems to have had less breaks & been rattling around at an annoying level for several months in row.

Looks like the rain is having a break for a bit next week, so maybe 2024 might be a little less frequent. Watch us all moaning about not enough rain if it continues for any length of time.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Well new year no change. Much better day yesterday actually got something done outside for a change (trying to resurrect pergola almost destroyed by the gales) but early evening back came the rain, 30mm between 5pm and midnight.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The roads are flooded again here, really is miserable out there.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Half inch rain overnight and another half inch today....have soaked two coats through...came home and undressed straight into washing machine and whilst it rumbled round I headed for a hot bath..

On the plus side, raked up some gravel driveway during the interlude from the overnight to todays rain..so that has gone to plan and it's got a wash.!...in fact as we left it was more a bath than a wash....or rather it was awash..

C.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, definitely a day to be thankful to be indoors and for the fact that your roof doesn't leak !
What's the betting though that somewhere in the country a water supplier will opt to impose a summer hosepipe ban?
Westi
KG Regular

Stuck indoors again with the rain & wind! Even finding it hard to tempt the dog out & if we turn a corner into a gust she is dragging me back home. TBH I'm somewhat relieved!
Westi
Clive.
KG Regular

I should add that my ref to half inch of rain today was a, so far, up to last check at 3pm....it has continued solidly since then and it still is persisting... I can vouch for that as my clothes drier resides in the old coalhouse ie; out the back door, left and left again..

C.
Geoff
KG Regular

Feel like I've actually done something productive this morning for a change. Cleared chrysants from greenhouse, wiped down, put staging back in and moved in my 24 forcing strawberries.
Clive.
KG Regular

We had the potting shed floor washed and tested the water pump all in one seamless move...
With the rain today the total for the week so far is 2 inches.

C.
Westi
KG Regular

Still windy but only the odd heavy shower, but couldn't get out & about as got a late appointment to see the nurse at the GP's for Mr. There are about 5 individual but joined up practices between our area & the next 2 villages & whoever sent out the appointments had a bad day. Mind I can understand that as I get the days mixed up between Xmas & New Year!

Didn't waste my time, all the seeds sorted into 2 boxes & the little propagator set up ready. I couldn't believe how many out of date seeds I had as I had a big clear a couple of years ago it seems, but obvs not! ;) But also had a good amount of in date unopened seeds from the mags which the site is collecting to both grow crops for the food bank & also give packs to them for those with an area to grow. Little box has things that require early sowings or heat which will stay at home & the big box will be taken back down tomorrow & tucked in the corner of the shed.

Speaking of sheds, I've sold the metal one for what I paid & am going to buy the little Keter as planned. Found one online that includes the floor & the reviews were good with tips for extra securing.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I think the 'extra securing" issue is going to be more relevant as time goes by.
Yesterdays winds caused a fence panel to blow loose here and the down pipe from our guttering which connects to our already full water butts was blown out, causing our potting shed area to flood temporarily. Annoyingly I can,t get outside now to inspect the damage and have to rely on Mr Primrose' s reports.
Clive.
KG Regular

...only a few spots of rain today before work time and then sunshine at times....and light enough to be working outside 'til about 4:10pm.

I was working from a hover board though. ;)..well, a series of former scaffold boards cut to size, to allow non wallow in mud access to a wall rose.

C.
Clive.
KG Regular

..what I hadn't done in my keeness was to check the forecast....now I see 8hrs of rain billed for overnight.!! :(

C.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic