New walk-in brassica cage & measuring!

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

AdrienneRobinson
KG Regular

I’ve just bought a walk in cage for my brassicas as I’ve got a long standing back problem that’s only getting more problematic as I get older, and crawling about under a low one wasn’t doing me any favours.
So, having measured up really carefully, and put it up as per the instructions, turns out I’d only gone and put it in the wrong place after all🙈!
So, second time round, after being super careful, checking and double checking, I was 99.9% certain it was right this time (I’d only put the ground stakes in at this point).
Asked hubby to check it for me, my goodness I’ve only somehow got the width wrong - 1.3M instead of 1.5 - how on earth have I done that with all that checking and double checking?
Thankfully it’s only 3 metal ground stakes I need to move, but I very nearly finished it with the uprights and everything. Thank goodness OH saw the error before I did😮‍💨!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I think we have all probably done similar things in our lives….hope it goes up okay now.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Adrienne I'm glad I'm not the only one! I bought one for the same reason & after mucking around & cussing a fair bit I got it up. The itsy little top corner support screws that really had me moaning! I made a fundamental mistake though & position allocated was too exposed & as anticipated the wee screws were the first to give. Fixed with those plastic T things & was better, but then had one really big blow which bent the aluminium poles at the top edge of the ground stakes - still standing though, but now has those old fashion wooden clothes props supporting each side. I highly recommend the net cover though with the zip door, it really has stood the test!

You will really like the convenience of not crawling under & the total protection! Enjoy!
Westi
AdrienneRobinson
KG Regular

Oh my gosh Westi - how frustrating that must have been when those little screws didn’t hold up!
I haven’t been able to finish putting mine up yet as I had my regular chiropractic treatment 2 days ago and so had to take it easy for a couple of days. And today it’s raining so it won’t be today either!
I didn’t see a netting cover with a zip door though (that sounds great) when I ordered mine - I’ve not got to the netting bit yet so I’m not sure how mine will work out over the door🤔.
AdrienneRobinson
KG Regular

Of course, the other issue will be when I want to move it so I’m not growing the brassicas in the same place all the time. The guy I spoke to where I bought it from said they’d never been asked about how easy or difficult it would be to move before!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just a thought, would you be able to buy extra ground stakes, so you can leave the original ones in place, and just move the top section….if you were just moving the cage along, you could use the original ends ones again…if you get what I mean…🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
AdrienneRobinson
KG Regular

That sounds like a good idea oldherbaceous - thank you!
Yes I think I understand what you mean and I’d sort of wondered about something like that myself, so now you’ve suggested it I’ll keep that in mind.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic