Membership numbers

Need help on using the new forum? Please post questions here and see our FAQ.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Sue
KG Regular

I think things have calmed down a lot since the rules changed. There did used to be some pretty aggressive postings and I stopped visiting for a while cos I got fed up of it.

Personally I always try and reply to any post that has sat around and not been answered or to a newbie question even if it has been answered loads of times before - so what, it takes 2 mins & then that person feels welcome and comes back 8)

Maybe we should have a reference guide so people can decifer some of the postings - the history of sprout wine, the LuLu, spit roasting the Piglet, fancy dress, slimy slugs, streeeeeaaaaaking..... :roll: :? :shock: OK maybe not :oops: That could send them all running :wink:

Anyway to all lurkers - don't worry we are all friendly and if a thread goes way off your radar, post and say so and we'll try and get back to sanity (try - no promises mind)

Sue
frantony
KG Regular

We come on here quite a bit, but only post when we have something to say, or need advice, most of the time the answers are already there for us so we don't need to post.

Rather than finding the regulars on the forum intimidating, I enjoy reading all the posts, sometimes better than the mag, and in general chatter, nearly always amusing.

It's nice to know there are folk out there who would go out of their way to help even the newest people to gardening.

Keep up the good work!!!!
Allan
KG Regular

You, dear readers, have no idea how long it sometimes takes to answer some of the questions. There is often quite a lot of searching to do before accurate advice can be given. Sometimes the netline cuts out many times and has to be recovered before the answer can be posted. At least it is all done far quicker than the turnround time in the magazine.
Allan
Chris
KG Regular

Hi OH

Any new member could only be encouraged by your own postings. It's the following ones that I think could put some people off. But this is "general chatter" and I have no problem with that. Just wonder whether a new section specifically for new members/new people to gardening might be a good way of encouraging participation. That way less experienced growers might not feel inhibited about asking questions. (Some years ago I remember feeling a bit nervous about my first posting to the old forum simply because I knew how experienced the contributors were at the time)

Chris
Chris
Chantal
KG Regular

I can remember asking my first question on the old forum about 18 months ago and I did think quite carefully before I posted it. However, I didn't have any worries about what people would think because for the most part, you're just a name, real or assumed, and an avatar so what does it matter?

I may answer some of the questions on here, but I'm still out there asking for help on a regular basis and even the most experienced contributors are doing the same on occasions.

No one knows everything, but we all know something and are willing to share that knowledge. That's what's so wonderful about our forum. :D :D
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Deb P
KG Regular

I think as a new poster to an established forum, you have no idea of what the contentious issues have been previously, and if you unwittingly post anything that sparks everyone off (thinks; organic, cat poo.....etc!)you may never post again! Whilst I think some of the spats are hilarious, I realise that more sensitive souls may be put right off....

Even if we use avatars and nicknames, you still give an impression of yourself to some extent depending on how much info you choose to reveal or even just what you are asking about, so other peeps responses do feel personal. Of course, some people are always just so well mannered, if not well behaved......(no names, but you know who you are OH....) :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic