What raspberries are best?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

I’m starting to look at buying raspberry canes ( I believe autumn is best to plant them? ) but would really appreciate some input from you all on which ones you prefer and why? Ideally I like to get some early and later ones so I have a continuous supply for a reasonable part of the year.
TY
Geoff
KG Regular

For continuity you need to grow Summer and Autumn varieties. I don't think there is a lot of difference between the Autumn varieties so I grow the commonest Autumn Bliss which does well. Summer varieties I had a lot of trouble with root rot. I seem to remember you are reviving an old garden, were there the remains of previous raspberries in it? If there were I would recommend Cascade Delight as it is disease resistant and does OK for me, it grows a bit oddly producing fruit on long slightly fragile spurs that might be an issue if you are exposed. If you don't think disease will be an issue perhaps pick an early and a mid-season variety from the many excellent Scottish breeds.
retropants
KG Regular

I can recommend Joan J. We had these at our allotment, and some were moved to my parents new house when they moved to Dorset. they are thriving, huge and abundant berries, which taste great. Fairly rampant though, so beware!
Primrose
KG Regular

I think the one advantage of autumn fruiting raspberries is that you can just chop them down at the end of the season without having to tie them in.
Don't think I've ever tasted a yellow raspberry though. Feels a bit odd but I guess people once thoughtthe same about yellow tomatoes.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I think the yellow ones are nearly as old as the red ones, Primrose….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Yellow ones are really nice, I don't remember the actual name of my yellow one but it tastes like apricots. Total thugs though. I spent hours thinning them out the year before last but nearly back to filling in every space available. I will alway prioritise the reds though as the berries are bigger & stand well on the plant for a few days.
Westi
Myrkk
KG Regular

Thanks everyone. He wasn’t a gardener so no raspberries here, no nothing really other than a couple of tomato plants, a bunch of parsley and a lorra lorra buttercup plants which have taken over the grow beds. He’d left some plants in pots so I’ve planted them up jic they will grow. So far the chives are looking promising.

I’m liking the idea of some thugs and rampants having a wee grow out together, will stop one swamping the other and the yellows sound like they taste lovely.

Does that mean you have to pick them daily Westi or they rot on the plant quickly?
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Myrkk! If you pick them daily they are fine but miss a day they go soft & squishy. Fortunately they grow down the branch top to bottom so you can just flip the branch & ignore the soft top ones & always get the nice ones. The rest will just fall off by themselves. Glad you are enjoying the planning!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic