Trimming Onions

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Just sharing this as I have not heard of it. On FB someone posted about their small onions, mine are probably 'normal size' but certainly not large. In response someone posted that they cut 1/3rd off the leaves when they get quite tall & this focuses the energy back to the bulbs which will continue to get a bit bigger. Now I will admit I have done a wee tail on one lot which still has bright, tall & healthy leaves & I'm happy enough with their size if duff advice.

I have never heard of this & would avoid doing this as I would have thought there was a risk of disease penetrating through the open leaf tops, but her & her family have always done this, not in the UK originally but this habit transferred with them. I will report back & plan to do before & after pics. Anyone heard of it? What do you all think?
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I've never heard of this technique and can only guess that it would damage the plant,s health, allowing rain or small insects to access the open green leaf tubes. I think sometimes people often copy previous habits simply because the dad or grandkid did it without question why a particular action was done. I,d leave well alone. Trim back just one plant as an experiment perhaps, just to satisfy your own curiosity.

I can,t imagine much gardening or heavy outdoors work was done around here this afternoon. It reached 30 degrees and the heavy thunderstorm possibly forecast for later this weekend will be very welcome. Not much quality sleep tonight I suspect !
Colin2016
KG Regular

When I take the scrapes off it leave a open stem similar to what you are saying, never had problem and I get some big onions so wonder if there is some truth in the idea.
Westi
KG Regular

Had a check today & the tips of the leaves are just drying off & kind off closing off by themselves as a result. I will measure the girth of the onions & take some pics tomorrow so I can confirm whether it works. Would be a quick & easy way to have good size onions for storage if it does work.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic