Animal Repeller

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I was recommended this to deter the pesky critters away & wanted to share it with you if interested or bothered with uninvited visitors. It is currently in the Lidl garden event at £14.99. It is solar powered & has rechargeable batteries so not totally reliant on sunshine. The person who recommended it had his last one near 10yrs; (guarantee is 3yrs), & he only charges his batteries at home once a year to cover the winter.

It is programmable to the critters you wish to deter so program 1 is rodents of all sorts, 2 is foxes & dogs & 3 is dogs, cats & birds, or you can set them all at once. There is a flashing light as well as the sonic noise & it also has a motion sensor which triggers both the flashing light as well as the sonic automatically. The chap who recommended it is only replacing his as the last intruders triggered the motion sensor & got put off by the light coming & ripped it off the wall & smashed it.

Hope this helps, my only beef is there is no setting for the slimy things! :)
IMG_6965.JPG
IMG_6965.JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 3594 times
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I wonder if it would work for deer?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I bought a sonic thing to frighten off Moles, didn't flippin' work, I even stuck it in one of their runs and the Moles just pushed it out of the way, bit sceptical me. You can get things that go on the front of your car that makes a sonic whistle to frighten Deer off the road, well either they don't work or the Deer round here are deaf!
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
peter
KG Regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Jli3EQCII
Jasper Carrot Mole Sketch
tigerburnie wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:30 am Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I bought a sonic thing to frighten off Moles, didn't flippin' work, I even stuck it in one of their runs and the Moles just pushed it out of the way, bit sceptical me. You can get things that go on the front of your car that makes a sonic whistle to frighten Deer off the road, well either they don't work or the Deer round here are deaf!
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Used to love Carrott, especially the Detectives
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Forgot how funny Jasper Carrot was…..😀
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

I've got the mole ones too Tiger & indeed it did not bother them at all, I did better with those children's whirly things with the moles but that is ineffective if not any wind. I got rid of them with moth balls pushed down the holes in the end, but it took ages to move them on.

It doesn't mention deer OH but the flashing light might spook them?

Even if it just deters the rats & mice I will be happy, the plot is full of rat runs but fortunately the dog is pretty good sniffing them out, but they just move a bit. The problem is so bad the committee actually supplies bait to growers & sets boxes up in the communal places.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I doubt anything would frighten off our local rats. They think they rule the kingdom. One year we even had mother and a string of babies marching up to our patio door, bold as brass!
tigerburnie
KG Regular

A couple died in our garden from lead, it wasn't the amount that did for them more the speed that the lead arrived..........................
It does seem to have reduced the problem, I have caught only mice in the live cage trap and they have been released back into the wild.
Primrose
KG Regular

Can you still buy moth balls? I haven't seen any of them for sale for a long time. They do have a particularly distinctive smell!

I remember standing next to somebody as a teenager at my first funeral. He was wearing a black coat that had obviously been taken out of a mothballed wardrobe, for a ceremonial wearing. The smell was so overpowering it nearly knocked me out. I always associate the mothball smell with funerals now , even decades later,
Westi
KG Regular

Yes mothballs are still available but hard to find. Fortunately the global supermarket 'A' seems to sell just about anything!

I actually posted this on one of the FB sites & it was shut off by the admin, just too many wrong answers regarding ways to remove pests, as in kill them. You would think folk would be more cautious what they post especially if a long lingering death to the animal; it is rule 1. We have huge rats on the site but I only ever see them when I go down really early. The first sight of them is quite frightening as they truly are huge. Fortunately the ones I see occasionally on the plot are more 'rat sized'!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic