2023 season begins..................

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

I only grow tatties every couple of years due to lack of ground and crop rotation, but when I do I usually grow PFA, tastiest I've eaten, though the chef dislikes scraping or peeling 'em.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I never used to like potatoes with their skins left on but, I now have a real liking for PFA done like this, and they are just as nice cold….and this keeps me in Cooks good books….😀

Having a real treat in the Village this afternoon, got a meeting of Horses and carriages coming through….Stage coaches, big open carriages, carts and buggy’s….these are being pulled by spectacular horses, in fours, three’s and twin’s, in line and parallel…..the people on board are dressed in age related dress and look immaculate….they were all calling and waving, as they came past the allotments….😀
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Sounds like a fine pageant.

Potatoes were very nice, took out a bank loan and had them with a leg of lamb; unfortunately nothing fresh in the garden as a veg but used our own frozen peas and fresh mint sauce followed by bottled damsons.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I have given the bullet a bite and planted a few tomatoes in the greenhouse, moved some more out of the conservatory into the blowaway inside the greenhouse to harden them off a bit. Because I have used clear plastic yoghurt pots, I can see that the plants were getting root bound and showing signs of distress, so they have two chances now.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

deleted
Last edited by tigerburnie on Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Primrose
KG Regular

OH. Were you following the horses with a bucket and shovel for the collectibles?
I remember as a small child staying at my grandparents and my grandad would always be out first out in the road collecting it from the coal man or the milkman for his roses. The scuffle beat any Covid supermarket toilet roll scramble !
I realise now where my manure collecting tendencies were nurtured at an early age !

Sad nobody will be able to collect Coronation procession horse manure. That would grow some fine broad beans for a future quiche !
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I didn’t go collecting but, you can follow the route they took….😀

I’m lucky as I move a trailer load of horse muck, over to the allotments every two weeks.

Westi
KG Regular

OH! I have manure envy. We have it delivered to the site but too fresh to use, but I go for the hay bedding litter for mulching. One lot is delivered is from a place that breeds & shows & sells horses so they are pampered with hay. The other pile is from the pony club so is wood chip.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good on you, Burnie, another good bit of filming.

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Seeds sown, Carrots x2 varieties, Beetroot(an American bolt resistant we shall see) Parsnips, Spring Onions x2 varieties, more Radish and some Broad Bean plants that were started in the greenhouse.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sounds like it’s been a hive of activity, Burnie….did you film any of the proceedings?🙂

Primrose
KG Regular

Mr Primrose planted out my tomatoes today as they were getting so leggy & has covered them over. Hope they,ll be ok. The heavens have just owned.
Is it too late to resow my cucumbers and courgettes. They,ve proved a disaster.
To save effort I intend to get mr. Primrose to sow my climbing beans direct outdoors. Any suggestions on when would be the best time to do this (I'm in Bucks). as I,ve always sown in cells previously.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Still plenty of time for Cucumbers and Courgettes, Primrose…..regarding the climbing beans, anytime from now is okay, but with all this heavy rain, it might pay to hang on for a few days, to let the soil dry out and warm up a little…..just get Mr Primrose to keep a keen eye open for slugs and snails, as they can graze the lot off in one evening, when they are just coming up!

tigerburnie
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:22 pm Good on you, Burnie, another good bit of filming.
Not today, too much noise going on, the school kids are getting hyper and it's nowhere near end of term yet.
retropants
KG Regular

Primrose, my second cucumber sowings are just up, the first lot did nothing. So, I'd say go for it. I'm in Middlesex. Only 2 out of 12 sweetcorn seeds have popped up, terrible really, not sure if any more will bother, it's so damp and cold. They are in a heated propogator in the greenhouse.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic