Is that your son? Is that your mother?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

Why are people so thoughtless and inconsiderate? Almost every time I go out with my husband some idiot asks me if he's my son. Either that or they ask him if I'm his mother.

NO! I've been ill and injured by my previous lifestyle. OK, so I look a bit older than him (and use a walking stick) but definitely not old enough to be his mother. It's annoying but it's also very hurtful. Why can people not keep their ignorant traps shut and not say/ask stuff like that? The last time I had to go to hospital in the UK the moronic receptionist said to my husband - "Just pop your Mum over there and we'll call you when we're ready."

Of course, he wasn't impressed and told her that his mother had died more than 20 years ago and that I am his wife. (I was a lot less polite and nearly got chucked out. LOL!)

JUST BECAUSE A MAN IS WITH A WOMAN WHO MIGHT LOOK A BIT OLDER THAN HIM DOESN'T MEAN SHE'S HIS MOTHER! So why do so many people make these really stupid assumptions? I might have been his next-door neighbour, or cousin, or someone he was kindly helping. NO. I must be his mother because I look a bit older than him.

Of course in many countries it's quite the norm for randy old men to date or marry girls several decades younger but no one ever asks, "Is that your grandaughter?"

Yeah, OK, I'm angry again because we had a couple of bits of furniture delivered earlier today and the delivery guy asked me "Is that your son?".

I know, we have lots of lovely and kind men on this forum and I'm sure they'd never say such a thing. I'm just letting off steam but also hoping that you people might help to spread the message that if a woman looks a bit older than the man she's with it doesn't necessarily mean she's his mother.

BTW, there was a very nice man at the Billingsgate fishmongering school I attended a few months ago and he asked me, "Who was the man who was helping you this morning?" I was perfectly happy to tell him because he'd not spoilt my day. :D

I dunno, it's me having a rant but maybe you have opinions on the subject. I'm always up for discussion or debate but would prefer to avoid arguements. What do you think about the issue? Maybe nothing because it's never happened to you. If you saw a male with a female that you thought looked older would you automatically assume that the female must be the male's mother?
Westi
KG Regular

I would not comment regardless of what I thought for just the reasons that cause your hackles to rise. It is none of my business & in these times relationships are very different as is they way they are demonstrated. My friend has had a really long friendship from childhood who hold hands like they did when children & kiss when they meet up. The comments they have received from strangers just passing in the street just proves that a lot of people have stereotype views.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Stravaig, I can see how annoying this must be for you but, just try and treat those sort of comments, as ignorance. People do say things that offend, and that isn’t right.
I have one friend who is married to a young lady almost half his age, and he said most of the sarcastic remarks come from other women…
And another friend of mine had a daughter very late in life, and was constantly asked if he was her Grandad…..and this upset his Daughter hugely.
People seem to have something in their heads, what should be the norm….
I’m 7 years older than Cook….but when she has told people of the age difference, some have thought I was the younger of the 2….now that has caused some bad language….lol x
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

OH, I love you for your kindness and wisdom, but I'm not wanting to be your girlfriend. :-) Huh, you weren't asking?

I know you're younger than me and I'd not want to go anywhere with you and have people ask if you're my son. (I'd also not like your wife to beat me up. I'm sure she's a lovely person!)

Oh well, onwards and upwards. Thank you for making this a fun place to hang out on. :-)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Cook has a scary reputation…. :) :)

robo
KG Regular

Look on the bright side at least you have someone with you to be compared too some of us are on our own
Stephen
KG Regular

Cook has a scary reputation
which is entirely of your creation OH! :lol:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I never thought of it like that…. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic