Is it time we ditched the word gardening?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

Seems like an odd suggestion to me... But, this is what's being suggested.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... gardening-

I think "gardening" is nice. You don't have to be middle class or any particular age. You just have to like growing plants, maybe.
Geoff
KG Regular

I think he was trying to fill some column inches rather than say anything useful. I often find that with him.
Westi
KG Regular

Cultural baggage??? As for coming up with your own tag is pretty much what is left, so anything with garden / gardener is long taken & 'plant' something is the next best alternative. What will they use when tags with plant have all gone??
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Todays society, to keep the wages coming in, say something daft or controversial, it's the same with rugby and quite a lot of other things, I just ignore the attention seekers.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just looked, then saw who wrote it….it will always be gardening to me and most others too!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

"Gardening" is a far less baggage laden term than "horticulture".

But social media, of which James Wong seems very fond, emphasises the appearance rather than the other wonderful aspects of gardening, the open air, the exercise, the thoughts of what to plant where, the sympathy with weather and seasons, the mindful acceptance that not everything flourishes and delight when it does.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Neighbor has a bloke in to do her garden so he is the gardener.

We still have bin men & a postman.

Never heard of James Wong as for gardening advice from him never needed it.
Stravaig
KG Regular

I'm probably going out on a limb here because I'm getting a strong impression that no one here is a fan of James Wong. Well, I'm very much a beginner compared to all of you guys and even then I was just growing culinary herbs on my windowsills. I quite liked James Wong's newspaper columns and found them interesting and helpful.

Have to admit, though, I didn't 'get' the idea to ditch the word gardening.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I’m sure he is a very nice guy but, for me he is one of those people that will use six words, when one is absolutely fine… :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Colin2016
KG Regular

"I’m sure he is a very nice guy but, for me he is one of those people that will use six words, when one is absolutely fine…"

Like a politician,
Stravaig
KG Regular

I've come across this sort of thing before but on the cookery side rather than gardening. The beginner or amateur will love this or that celeb but the professionals/experienced are not impressed.

Personally, I can't stand Mary Berry (Queen of British cooking, huh?). It's all so dumbed down for the lowest common denominator. Worst of all SHE CAN'T COOK! Yeah, she can bake but that's a completely different thing. Who the heck is she to be giving out cookery advice. :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Another one I don't like is Nadiya. She's become more squeaky and more Mumsy as she settles into her role as a TV presenter. There's another one who is a baker rather than a cook.

I've nothing against bakers, but it's not the same as being a chef.

Oh, Sabrina Ghayour - not even a baker, just a fat woman who likes going on the telly and burbling, "I'm not a chef, you know, just someone who likes to cook." Yeah, I'd figured that out - and no doubt she gets paid loads of dosh for writing all those darned cookbooks.

On the subject of fat people, how come one of the best-selling cookbooks currently is about slimming recipes writen by a pair who make The Two Fat Ladies look like Twiggy?

(OK thanks for the rant.)

Maybe I should balance that with chefs I do like - Tom Aitkens, Nathan Outlaw, The Yummy Brummy, Gary Maclean, etc, etc. I could fill pages. Aha, they're all chefs not housewifey wannabes. I buy their books for inspiration and always learn new things.

Why not share your loves and... (I don't like to use the word "hate" in this context, dislikes seems more appropriate).
Colin2016
KG Regular

Cant stand Mary Berry either as for the other the only one I have heard of is Nadiya.

If I see the cook/chef is on the large size I know I am in for a decent meal, not always proved correct though.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Rarely watch television these days, lots of things on youtube from the 1960/70's that are way better. Old Geoff Hamilton programs and the like. Don't watch cooking unless it's some like Ray Mears or Les Hiddins(The Bush Tucker Man)cooking on a fire they've just lit.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
retropants
KG Regular

Paul Hollywood, not a fan! He thinks rather a lot of himself!
Westi
KG Regular

Ditto with Paul Hollywood, Ainsley Harriot irks me big time with the stupid singing, not overly keen on Jamie but at least he's one of the first to jump in & do stuff that meets the economical & morale climate of the time & was very helpful improving school meals. Really tiring of Mary Berry, who like David Attenborough seems to be rolled out all the time - probably to tick the boxes of full inclusiveness!

However much I like or dislike the author I find I just can't resist a visit to the book shop & when I see a silly price like a brand new hardback for £3 or £5 I have to buy it. Ditto table top stalls. Yep way too many but I do flick through them regularly for recipes to use up lottie fruit & veg.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic