asparagus beetle

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

ferret
KG Regular

Having waited so long to harvest my first asparagus(wonderful)I am now infested with asparagus beetle,and they seem to thrive on liquid Derris,I am now trying repeat sprays of Malathion but this seems to have little effect.Does anyone have any advice as,at the moment I am squashing them in my fingers but they move a lot quicker than me!Many thanks in advance for any help,ferret.
Jenny Green
KG Regular

My method for dealing with them is to take a final complete cutting of all stalks and seal them in bin bags. I find this severely reduces the infestation for the whole year. Unfortunately this year I've left it a bit late and don't want to risk weakening the plants by cutting them down one more time.
So it's back to my other method which is to catch and squash the adults and rub the stalks to kill the grubs and eggs. The adults are nifty buggers and will drop off at the slightest disturbance. So what you have to do is gently bend the stalk over and hold your other hand cupped underneath the beetle(s). A little shake and they'll generally drop off into your hand. (Either that or they run around the other side of the stalk!)
It's important to focus your efforts on the eggs (immobile black thin bits stuck along the stalk in a line) and the grubs (grey maggoty things eating the fronds). The grubs do the most damage.
swiss
KG Regular

I have found the same problem with my asparagus on the first harvest! Does this mean you can never get rid of them all you do is reduce the numbers? Is anyone aware of how successful organic sprays are and when they should be applied?
Regards
Andy
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I've never tried organic sprays as I've never found the infestation great enough to warrant it. My method of cutting all the stalks at about the beginning of June when the numbers are starting to build and binning everything usually reduces the infestation so much that you don't really notice anything for the rest of the season.
Other than that it's a matter of taking 5 minutes whenever you're in the garden squashing whatever you see. I made a good effort yesterday evening and caught loads of beetles hiding in the developing fronds. I also cleaned the stems and fronds of all eggs and grubs. It was quite fun really!
But no you're never really rid of them. There's probably a native weed they eat too as there's no asparagus grown anywhere near me at all.
But this is true of most pests whether you spray or not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic