Early Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well we are already into the start of March, not sure where January and February went to but, really looking forward to the new growing season proper! Have got Broad Beans, Sweet peas and Beetroot just germinating and also some Potatoes, set up for chitting…my big order of seed potatoes should be here in about a fortnight.
So wishing you all a good growing season indeed….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

OH. Sure going to miss you when I snuff it. :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Shallot Man, hopefully that won’t be for many years….but, not sure why you think you will be able to escape my nonsense, just because you won’t be here in body…. :) :)

Stephen
KG Regular

Indeed, roll on the better weather and spring proper. The Aquadulce broad beans are growing nicely, the purple sprouting is just doing so. The rosemary is astonishingly vigourous.

Potatoes for chitting? I'll probably start that in April.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I like to have most of my Potatoes planted by April, Stephen…well the first earlies, second earlies and some of the main crop…I do this to try and get the potatoes to a decent size, before the late blight hits them….the only problem in doing this is, late frosts, they can be really troublesome.

retropants
KG Regular

I've got pepper seedlings showing their first true leaves, tomatoes will be sown this or next week :)
Shallot Man
KG Regular

With the cost of fuel going through the roof. Thought I would look at ways to economise. Two magazines I just thumb through. cancelled. Six charities' the late light of my life supported, Though I note I paid the Direct Debits. [ to be considered ] Though two of the charities I could donate food, the only sufferer would in the long term be the CEO ,[ rather like this idea, So that is two more Direct Debits saved. rather prefer this method. Could shut the heating off. Bit drastic. Could cut down on food, don't think I have the will-power. Could ask fellow readers for idea's [ Should think O.H will have some. [ :roll: :wink:
snooky
KG Regular

I have ditched the car for short journeys and bought and use a tricycle.At my age safer than a bike;and the basket on the back is most useful.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I have quite a few ideas, Shallot Man but, none are appropriate to put into words…. :)

peter
KG Regular

snooky wrote:I have ditched the car for short journeys and bought and use a tricycle.At my age safer than a bike;and the basket on the back is most useful.

A box would be better, as the manure won't get stuck in the basket work, or worse, leak out! :twisted: :lol:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Compo
KG Regular

Yes spring, have the first seeds sewn in the newly refurbed Greenhouse which survived the storms, sadly some less sturdy constructions didn't. I am now digging and spreading bagged mushroom compost sparingly on the soil. Got a lot to do but feel I am on top of it at the moment. And yes how to save money. I am lucky that I won't be short financially but no need not to consider thrift. Time to get the treddly out me thinks.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Primrose
KG Regular

If you,re elderly, turning down the heating is not a terribly good idea unless you can really layer up on clothing and keep moving regularly to keep warm. I have a couple of really thick padded gilet body warmers I wear indoors and a thick charity shop blanket to cover my knees when I,m sitting down.

Batch cooking meals like casseroles, bolognese sauces, savoury mince etc and bagging into single portions saves cooking fuel. Making soups from lentils and vegetables is a cheap meal too.
Planning car journeys & timing them so you can kill several birds with one stone will help.

Our village library is always warm so single older people are welcome to spend a few hours there with their sandwiches instead of having to heat their home.

There,s no doubt the coming months are going to be challenging for a lot of people on lower incomes and even those with savings are going to find them drastically eroded by inflation.

And cut your lawn less frequently if you have an electric or petrol mower!
Westi
KG Regular

Primrose what an excellent idea for the library to allow people in to have their sandwich & a bit of warmth.

Fortunately weather is warming but there will be no extra money as struggling people will still need to put that bit extra away for next winter as it does not appear this will be going away anytime soon. I am glad I got the Remoska; it I hope, is going to show a good decrease on my next bill, even with the increase. Monitoring the smart meter it only gets 3 bars but the oven gets 14 both at the same temp.
Westi
snooky
KG Regular

Spent a couple of hours on my plot today,tidying and marking off roughly what is going where.Bit of a nip in the air even though the thermometer on the shed was showing 14C.Ground warming up but still a bit wet to work.
Sap rising,time to start sowing.!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Mr Fallowfield
KG Regular

I’ve recently found a book in a charity shop , by Bob Flowerdew , The No Work Garden (!). It’s a bit of an inspiration and it has come at the very right time for me as l have been a bit at odds with spending so much time watering ( mostly containers ) , weeding and pricking out , among other things . I’ve been gardening for over 50 years and l am really excited to see what l can do differently this season ! .
I’ll probably still be in the garden or down on the plot until sundown , as usual , but may be with less that has got to be done ! . We shall see. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic