Blackcurrant 'Big Bud'

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Jude
KG Regular

During the winter I renovated an old row of redcurrants, quite successfully it seems, but now I realise that I have inadvertantly retained a blackcurrant bush that has big bud reversion. I know it will have to be destroyed, especially as I have healthy blackcurrants about 25ft away. Any thoughts on how I should go about this without disturbing the 'reds' too much, and should I do it ASAP or will it wait until dormancy?
PS the tennis ball fruit cage is working a treat!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Carole B.
KG Regular

You could try just cutting it off at ground level for now and then removing the root in autumn when it will cause less root disturbance to the red currants.
Allan
KG Regular

Always watch out for Big Bud in the Spring and pick off the bigger buds before the trouble gets a real hold. The spray used to be Lime Sulphur, I doubt if you can get it now. The modern varieties have a degree of resistance bred into them. The expected life of blackcurrants is usually given as ten years, after which clear and replant. As an economy measure when you cut hard back on planting strike the cuttings to give you extra plants in about 3 years.
Allan
Jude
KG Regular

Thanks, both. Allan, I took cuttings from my current currants when I first planted them and I now have more than I need thanks!
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic