too late to sow leeks?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

taralastair
KG Regular

Is it too late to start my leeks? They were kind of an after thought as I recieved some free seeds (Swiss Giant Zermatt). Ideally I would like to start them indoor (modules?) and then transplant them once I lift my overwintered onions. Is this wise? Any thoughts as always greatly appreciated.

Tara
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tara,
Although Zermatt is an early variety you can either
pop out and buy a later variety which would stand through the winter or take your chances. I'm afraid I do not know how winter hardy Zermatt are but most early varieties to suffer from the damp and cold.
Leeks generally can be sown up until the end of this month. My personal thoughts are that they do best when sown in modules and transplanted but others may not agree with me on that point.
The thing that I do not think you should do is plant them after an Onion crop or at least not on the same ground which is what I think was your intention.
Try and find a different site if it is at all possible.
JB.
taralastair
KG Regular

Thanks for the prompt reply. The info regarding Zermatt is that they will tolerate frost/winter temps, so hopefully will be ok on that aspect. Not sure where else I can put them on the plot though. Why can't they follow the onions, is it disease potential? What would leeks normally follow (in an ideal world).

Cheers,

Tara
taralastair
KG Regular

Just had another thought. Could I grow them in containers (large barrells cut in half)? I still have a few empty ones that we haven't assigned a purpose to. What do you think?

Tara
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tara
See absolutely no reason why not. Certainly better than previous site mentioned.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

My Leeks always follow my early spuds.
taralastair
KG Regular

That's funny because one of the things I read was that you shouldn't put leeks where your spuds had been. That would certainly be an option, but I think I may stick with the container idea. Certainly a lot less hassle as I can sow in situ and avoid transplanting etc. Getting a bit tired of all that now and very little room left on windowills.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Tara
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hello Taralastair

That is very interesting regarding leeks should not follow potatoes, perhaps it is a modern thought.

I generally always follow new potatoes with leeks because the ground has hopefully been previously manured and the soil should have a good free tilth to it after growing and lifting potatoes.

The earlier leeks go in the bigger they will grow. they like a deep soil which should not be acid.

I would sow your leeks and plant them after lifting your potatoes, perhaps some more learned folk could explain why following potatoes is not a good thing.

Best of luck

Barney
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tata,
May I enquire where you got the information about not planting Leeks after New Potapoes because that has been common practice for all the time I have been gardening a I suspect many moons before that.
If you are growing New Spuds and you sow your Leeks seed PDQ they would do very well after the spuds.
Had you mentioned Spuds instead of Onions originally I would have said go for it.
The thing about Onions and Leeks is they are quite closely related and both suffer from the same diseases and the one to worry about is White Rot.
JB.
Ian F
KG Regular

I always follow my first early spuds with leeks, and have never noticed any problems with them. The grond is well manured, deeply dug, and would otherwise not grow a worthwhile crop. I have never seen advice not to follow spuds with leeks.
taralastair
KG Regular

Well maybe I dreamt it! I was searching around on the internet and books and I am sure I read somewhere about not followning potatoes with leeks. Can't remember why though. Maybe I will try it. Can I use the barrels then as a seed bed, then put the seedlings into the potato plot once the new potatoes are up?

Tara
taralastair
KG Regular

See I wasn't mad. This is from http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg ... eeks_1.asp

'In crop rotation, leeks follow lettuce, cabbage or peas, but it is not a good idea to plant them immediately after lifting early potatoes. This is because the soil will be too loose and disturbed and leeks do best on a firm soil. '

I'll trust you guys and not the web. :wink:
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tara,
Thank you for publishing the information. My best advice to you is to forget that you ever read that website because to me that was written by one who flies a desk and is rather in several minds as to how to go about the job. If I ended up with only 4-6inches of blanched shank I would consider that I have made a complete B**ls-up of growing them.
I am positive you will get masses of advice and i will explain how I do it and then I'm sure others will add or subtract from my method.
I sow in modules that are not very large no larger than 25mmx25mm and 40mm deep. When they are just about pencil thickness they are ready for transplanting. I fetch out a 'V' trench approximately 6inches deep. Then using a dibber I insert the young Leek into the hole and do not fill I simply water into the hole and let the Leek do the rest. As they grow so the trench is filled in and finally end up mounding up the soil about 3-4 inches
This normally gives me around 12 inches of blanched shank and by mounding it gives added protection against frost which can attack Leeks if it is at all a prolong period.
I'm sure others will give you their advice.
Good luck.
JB.
taralastair
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with this site. All of you have not failed me yet. I'll let you know in a couple of months how I got on.

Tara
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic