Vegetable Cages

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

As I'm one of those folk who can't even tie up the runner bean canes without them falling over & Although will enthusiastically tackle any wee jobbie let's just say it does not come naturally or at times comfortably.

As a result I thought I would put a nice veg cage on my Xmas list so could protect the more precious plants & not have to uncurl my environmesh off the hedge row after the lightest breeze! My first little bit of research has frightened the life out of me with the prices! A 3m X 2m came out at £90 & that's just with netting & I would want environmesh!

Anyone seen anything cheaper or any ideas of a DIY option that I could try? (Keeping in mind my 1st paragraph)?

Westi
Westi
Beryl
KG Regular

I think anything with enviromesh is going to be expensive Westi. I invested in 3 of Haxnicks grow frames, they worked out to about £70 each complete with enviromesh, The covers I take off in the winter and wash and I can rotate my veg easily. Carrots and leeks in particular I like to cover. I think you have to look at it as being a long term investment what ever you choose.

http://www.haxnicks.co.uk/garden/grower ... ower-frame

Let us know if you find anything cheaper.

Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, this is just something you can try and won't cost much money...
Buy a pack of medium thickness plastic cable ties and use these instead of tying canes with string, they really can be pulled tightly to make things very strong and if you use canes diagonally as well, this will make any frame really strong.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Ha Ha OH! Another story with those. I didn't realise there were 2 sides to them the first time I used them & moaned to my neighbour that they wouldn't tighten & were rubbish!

Well it made him giggle! :oops:

Never thought of using them for my canes. Use them in greenhouse a lot for shading etc.

Thanks!
Westi
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks for the link Beryl. They never came up in my search, I suppose they are not actually cages. They are cheaper & look fairly nice.

Need to expand my search criteria.

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, i nearly put about the two sides to them, but i thought you might have used them before, to restrain bad patients. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

Although I have them on the beds at the allotment Westie, I tell myself that when I give up the lottie I can bring them home and use them on the patio. They do have 2 zipped openings which makes it easier to reach when the cover is on for weeding and harvesting.

My very versatile neighbour on the lottie has made her own using the build-a-ball system but then she is a trained machinist.
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/buil ... d7577.html

Good luck in your search.

Beryl.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Hi Westi.

Last year I had to consider my direction with this kitchen garden project. Not only was the work often too much for me but the cost on top of the work didn't figure as worthwhile to the few audience I have who care for me.

The purchese of four different enviro mesh covers broke the fun-fund though I didn't loose plants to critters and the wind, the investment has given me new confidence in next year and quite frankly the enviro mesh will last a lot longer than me.

Stay on the path Westi.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic