Help - urgent advice needed on baking a roulade.

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

The Mouse
KG Regular

Hi.
Does anyone know if a meringue roulade would be successful if baked in a 5cm-deep roasting tray instead of a 1.5cm-deep swiss roll tin?
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Primrose
KG Regular

If the meringue part has to be prepared as part of the overall recipe I'm wondering if it will dry out sufficiently if put in a tin with higher edges? There may be a risk of it staying too squishy to roll up? Afraid meringues not really my strong forte. I usually cheat these days and buy the nests !
The Mouse
KG Regular

Hi Primrose.
We went ahead anyway and used the big tin. Yes, the meringue was still soft, apart from the surface, but I think it was meant to be as it was only meant to be baked for about 13 mins.
It has now been frozen and will be served on Christmas day. It looked great (and tasted it too, if the scrapings from the different bowls were anything to go by) and I can't wait to try it. We also made a Rich Chocolate Torte and Chocolate Brownies, and I can't wait to try those either! :D
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Primrose
KG Regular

Well done! Fax me some to taste although I'm sure it won't be hanging around long enough at Christmas to wait for a second opinion, :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic