Freezing roast potatoes?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

We are having a rather large family do on Christmas Day and I could really do with roasting the potatoes beforehand. Do you think I could roast the potatoes this week, then freeze them on a baking tray and then "re-roast" them at the top of a very hot oven on the day?
John
KG Regular

Hello Monika
I'm not sure about that. As its for the big day I think that I would try do a trial run beforehand.
When we cheat on roasties we always use Aunt Bessie's frozen ones - the ones with duck fat. If you add a little extra duck fat as they go into the oven its hard to tell the difference with the real thing. After the recommended cooking time I leave them in on a low heat for about another 10 mins.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Catherine
KG Regular

Hi Monika I boil potatoes and open freeze then bag them up to be used later. Then when I want some frozen spuds for roasting I remove enough and put them in hot roasting tray with oil and baste and roast. Most of the time they have been perfectly okay. I think you need a trial run. Personally I dont think they are as good as fresh roasties. But for the two of us we have been happy to use them.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Monika,
what I have done in the past is to roast the tats as normal but the day before (even two if needed). Lift them out of the tray on to kitchen paper and leave in the fridge (or outside if no room in the fridge and it's cold enough). Then when you take out the meat bung them back into their tray and cook for around 20 minutes. When you can hear them sizzling they are done. Just make sure they are at the light brown stage before cooling so they are medium brown when they are ready. Also don't do huge chunks 1-1 1/2 inch cubes is best.
Regards Sally Wright.
Monika
KG Regular

Many thanks for all your replies. I thought of buying frozen roast potatoes, John, but as we have lots of our own, I thought that might be cheating!

I think I will go with Sally's advice, Catherine, it sounds the least laborious on the big day.
Catherine
KG Regular

I agree Monika I am going to do the same on the Sunday after christmas as we have a houseful and think it is a good idea.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
thanks for the vote of confidence!
forgot to say I do the same with Delia's parmesaned parsnips as well. Life's too short to get stressed in the kitchen (too many sharp implements around).
Regards Sally Wright.
retropants
KG Regular

Mary Berry says to part roast them the day before, then finish them off on the day, when the turkey is out of the oven having a rest. I did it for a large group a couple of years ago, they came out perfect.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Monika,
how did your potatos do for Xmas din-dins?
Regards Sally Wright.
Monika
KG Regular

It went very well, Sally. I roasted the potatoes and parsnips two days before, cooled them down quickly and left them well covered with silver foil in the garage (the pan was too large to go into the fridge), then put them in a very hot oven for about half an hour on the top shelf before lunch - perfect!

Thank you for your tips.
retropants
KG Regular

Excellent.......if it's good enough for Mary berry!!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic