Red Spider Mite

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Elaine
KG Regular

This year is the first time in three years, that my cucumbers have been Red Spider Mite free! Woo hoo!
Why? Because I grew my own from seed again.

When we first got our allotment, I always grew from seed but one year decided to buy plants from a nursery, as I only ever need two plants. That year was the first time I had a problem with RSM and as I didn't recognise what the problem was until the damn things were abseiling from plant to plant, it was too late. I scrubbed out the greenhouse, getting into all the nooks and crannies, burnt the canes I'd used, thinking I'd sorted them.
I hadn't....there they were again next year and I used a spray which claims to kill RSM...it didn't. Again I had bought plants.

As I said in another post, we didn't have problems with Vine weevil grubs until we bought in new plants so I decided the same might apply to RSM on the cucumber plants and grew my own this year.
Coincidence? I don't know. Problem at the nursery? I can't be certain, as the plants were from a different one from the previous year. Bad luck?? maybe! :lol:
Happy with my lot
glallotments
KG Regular

Our kiwi Issai had spider mite every year since we planted it but no mites this year so it could be coincidence I'm afraid.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic