Expanded metal co-opted into duties.

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I don't know what this stuff could be useful for, the main reason I posted a photo is that it has been a quick and easy way to stop Molly eating my carrots.

I bought this ex-met to lay down at the bottom of my 4th raised bed, some has gone into the cold frame which also had a mole attack and I have a couple of sheets on stand-by come the day I have enough work in me to empty the soil out of another bed and lay ex-met down.

What would this stuff be useful for ? I suppose the gaps would be far to big for most flying insects other than butterflies.
Attachments
IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG (189.32 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Looks handy if you're troubled by bunnies. Or pea supports.

Is it what plasterers use? Expensive?

MW
peter
KG Regular

Supporting enviromesh?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Motherwoman wrote:
Is it what plasterers use? Expensive?

MW

Yes, the sheet you see was about £8 including VAT, it's 70 X 250. Laid out like that it's very stable, after Peters idea i'm wondering about supporting fleece. If it's cut into three parts you get 70 X 83 hoops, it's quite sharp at the cut ends though I folded them over. The mesh it's is also sharp but not a problem if you are wearing gloves and i'm thinking the fleece might stick to it.

I just pegged the edges with bits of cane and some tent pegs which might be a better idea.

I have never used a cloch, I imagine you need to be able to get inside occasionally for weeding. Last year I was going to buy a coil of 10 mm plastic plumbing pipe (About £40) on a coil of 50 metres for single-row cloches. I'm now wondering if this might be better.

I'll update you with progress.
Last edited by Ricard with an H on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
peter
KG Regular

Doh! :oops:
Long day yesterday after a hectic week, fleece was what I meant to say but I had a word block.

You could fold it under one side and use the sharp exmet to poke through, maybe a bit of string "sewing" as well.
Then on the other side of the hoop either the same or weights like old posts or pipes to ease viewing.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Elaine
KG Regular

We use it exactly as you have, to keep the pigeons off the newly planted out brassicas....and you're dead right about it being lethal stuff. I was daft enough to try and remove it whilst not wearing gloves. :oops:

My husband is a truck driver and when we first got our allotment, he had a wonderful job delivering to building sites ....he cadged alsorts of good stuff which came in very handy on the allotment! This stuff was one of his first bits of booty and is still going strong eight years on.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic