I GOT ONE I GOT ONE I GOT ONE!!!!!!!!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Piglet6
KG Regular

*sings & skips around the forum* I've got an allotment, I've got an allotment :D :D

It couldn't have been much better timed:- on the evening that I swung by the gym to cancel my membership I get THE call that a half plot is available and is mine if I want it.

I prepared myself for the long long journey to the plot (a 2 minute walk from my front door!!!!) LOL. The plot is very grassy & weedy, but when you've spent almost 3 years on the waiting list for a particular site, what do you do - say No??

Saw it on the Tuesday evening, but couldn't get back up there until Thursday. Spent about 20 minutes sorting things, and pretty much just looking at it thinking "OMG, where the spud do I start!!!", and the other 40 minutes chatting with folks that walked passed. LOL

I did feel a bit of a muppet walking up my road in wellies, carrying a huge trug bucket and big garden fork, but I was the one who was laughing when I came home with my trug full to bursting with the rhubarb & leeks I've got from the plot (left by the previous tenant, and now mine "mwah ha ha ha ha")

However: this plot is TEMPORARY. The council require the land, covered by 8 plots, back in 2016 to enlarge the cemetary next door. So, when that time comes I will go back on the waiting list. BUT, on the Thursday that I went up there, the site rep said that a plot on the permanent bit of the site had become available that very day. He said he had to offer it to somebody else first, but if they didn't want it it was mine if I wanted. We went to look at it and it is in pretty much the same state as my current plot, so I'd be no worse off - except permanent! No-brainer really.

I rushed out yesterday & sowed some seeds, ready for when I have some ground cleared for them:- spinach, leeks, runner beans, french beans & courgettes. I'll buy some pumpkin seeds this weekend and sow those as soon as possible. I know it's a tad late but I'm hoping they should catch up.
Piglet6
KG Regular

Oh, & P.S. - I'm going to need all the help and advice I can get!!!!! *smiles sweetly at friendly, helpful forum buddies*
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Congratulations Piglet6!!! It's a bit like birthdays and christmas rolled into one. You are not late for sowing and growing, particularly with the cold weather we've been having. I have a 15 minute drive to get to my plot so you're really lucky. :)

How do you intend to clear, spray or dig out?

Motherwoman
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Lol, congratulations Piglet6. Wishing you happy gardening :D

VPM
x
Arnie
KG Regular

Nice one Piglet6 :)

Good luck with your new plot, remember the best way forward is little and often :)

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Bren
KG Regular

Congratulation Piglet6 Happy gardening, being so close to home any spare 1/2 hour can be spent there little and often. I have to catch 2 buses and a ten minute walk to get to mine with a 20 min. bus service so its the best part of 2 hours travelling.
Bren
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Piglet6, i still remeber that slightly daunting, but terribly exciting feeling, the first time i started working my first allotment. So i hope you get as much pleasure as most of us on here get from tending the land.

Congatulations indeed. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
donedigging
KG Regular

Congratulations Piglet6, I remember when I first got mine, it really is a great feeling I walked around for weeks with a great big grin on my face. Happy gardening :)
donedigging
Clive.
KG Regular

Piglet6 wrote:I know it's a tad late but I'm hoping they should catch up.

Set it in May and it'll grow night and day... :wink: Just right. :)

Clive.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I have just sown my pumpkin and Cucumber seed, and i'm never wrong. :twisted: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Pumpkins and Squash sown this week at work...and given some room, with overfull greenhouses, then it will be Sweetcorn next week.

Clive.
Primrose
KG Regular

Very pleased for you and hope you can get the permanent plot. If not, ask for a guarantee that you won't have to give up your temporary plot in the middle of a growing season and lose all your crops. It will be hard work getting it dug and cleared butnhopefullynwill be worth it.
Wicky
KG Regular

Congrats - you sound as excited as I was when I got my 1/2 share :D
Monika
KG Regular

Well done, piglet! Still plenty of time this year to get lots of things growing, but don't overdo it, will you?

One of the plots on our small site has just changed hands and the new occupants, a young couple, were working on it all day today with mum and dad giving a hand. Their enthusiasm was great to see! All the old hands are advising on what and what not to plant on the allotment because, although it was dry and mainly sunny, the strong westerly wind was bashing everything.

Have fun, piglet!
Westi
KG Regular

Congrats Piglet! Go, Go, Go! Make the most of what you've got - perfect timing! I hope they put you top of the list when you have to give it up - but hey long time away & lots to harvest before then!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic