Water Well

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

I've got two wells on my plot. I dug one five years ago, the other is new, and hasn't been used yet.

The old one I made by digging a 4'x4'x8' hole. Getting one of those blue plastic drums [45gls] and drilling hundreds of holes in it, cutting a 4" hole in the top. Then I put the drum in the hole, put a 4" soil pipe in the hole in the top the drum and back filled the hole.

The water table never go's below 6', but this year it's at 5' and dropping. which means I only have about 3' of water in the drum. maybe 25 to 30 gals. I use a 12v pump a battery and a solar panel. I can pump the well dry in less than 10 minuets.

The new one is a 3" plastic pipe 16' deep in the ground. The pipe has lots of holes drilled in it for the first 3' with a special filter mesh over it.

The problem is there is maybe only 2 or 3 gals of water in the pipe, which could be pumped out in a couple of minuets. On the old well the water takes about 30 minuets to percolate back in after being pumped dry.

So my idea is. To put an air tight cap on the pipe, put a 3/8" copper pipe through the cap and seal it. So the copper pipe is just off the bottom. When I start to pump it should make a drop of pressure so water is drawn in a lot faster, so the pipe shouldn't run out of water.

Dose that lot make any sense
PT
KG Regular

I've got two wells on my plot. I dug one five years ago, the other is new, and hasn't been used yet.

The old one I made by digging a 4'x4'x8' hole. Getting one of those blue plastic drums [45gls] and drilling hundreds of holes in it, cutting a 4" hole in the top. Then I put the drum in the hole, put a 4" soil pipe in the hole in the top the drum and back filled the hole.

The water table never go's below 6', but this year it's at 5' and dropping. which means I only have about 3' of water in the drum. maybe 25 to 30 gals. I use a 12v pump a battery and a solar panel. I can pump the well dry in less than 10 minuets.

The new one is a 3" plastic pipe 16' deep in the ground. The pipe has lots of holes drilled in it for the first 3' with a special filter mesh over it.

The problem is there is maybe only 2 or 3 gals of water in the pipe, which could be pumped out in a couple of minuets. On the old well the water takes about 30 minuets to percolate back in after being pumped dry.

So my idea is. To put an air tight cap on the pipe, put a 3/8" copper pipe through the cap and seal it. So the copper pipe is just off the bottom. When I start to pump it should make a drop of pressure so water is drawn in a lot faster, so the pipe shouldn't run out of water.

Dose that lot make any sense
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
PT
KG Regular

Don't know how i got it on here twice
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi PT,
You can cancel one of them if you want to. Look at RHS of posting where it says Quote Edit and X.
If you hit X it will ask is you really want to get rid of it then simple say yes. Hey presto gone!!
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic