Sucessional Peas

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I want to have my peas spread over a longer period but haven't had much success with my trials, I wonder if it's some are dwarf & some are taller but can anyone suggest some varieties that might be be OK??

Westi
Westi
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

If you want to harvest peas in succession, sow them in succession. There are varieties designated as being early, second early and maincrop, which gives some idea about the time it takes for them to mature. It indicates, too, a degree of cold tolerance — round-seeded varieties tend to be the earliest, and can be overwintered with some luck (and an absence of mice). Even so, successional sowing gives a more even spread. Some of the old fashioned varieties, like Hurst Green Shaft, still remain popular with gardeners because they tend to crop over a period, which most other varieties (bred for the farmer, principally) do not.

I've never been convinced of home-grown peas being tastier than bought frozen ones. It doesn't stop me growing them, though, mostly to have peas to pod, which I find strangely compelling.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Felix,
Felix Leiter wrote:I've never been convinced of home-grown peas being tastier than bought frozen ones.

They say there is always a first in everything. In all the years on this forum your comment above strikes me as the most ludicrous.
I grow quite a few peas here and they are home frozen and the taste is absolutely marvellous and to even consider comparing my peas with any of the frozen varieties available is again ludicrous.
I wonder just how many people think that home grown frozen peas are tastier than shop bought frozen peas.
JB.
Last edited by peter on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Westi,
I do not go for the very early varieties with round seeds because they do not do very well here.
I start with Early Onward and then Onward and I make three sowings of these and then umpteen of Hurst's Greenshaft and also the tall peas Radeo/Radio which came originally from Clive. This variety grew up to 9ft tall here in 2010 and the last peas pick with the aid of a step ladder!
I have a couple of pea propagators which gives me a thirty foot row between them and as one lot leaves another is sown until there is no room left without other things suffering. Probably 10 rows x 30ft.
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

Oh there's nothing to beat picking your home grown peas. Most frozen ones get overcooked so they are spoiled. . I can't grow enough to meet my needs so I mostly grow for the pure selfish pleasure of picking and eating them raw and straight from the pod. It's rare that enough of them reach the saucepan to be cooked. The freshly picked pods often end up in a bowl on the garden table being shucked and eaten raw as an aperatif with a gin & tonic on a warm summer evening! Not quite what Mr. Birds Eye intended, but it's gardener's perks in this house!
Westi
KG Regular

Ohh Mice - little beggars do love my first sowings - & are nipping off my sweetpeas in the greenhouse! It seems keep with the tried & tested old varieties then!

Westi
Westi
thetangoman
KG Regular
Location: Land of golden sands,blues skies,cold beer and magical sunsets.

Sowing number 5 completed ..all looking good so far with plenty of peas now coming on nicely :D :D
Westi
KG Regular

Gave up in the greenhouse & direct sowed - lost 1st lot (Mices!), but 2nd lot looking great, 3rd getting their little tendrils & 4th just gone in! Haven't looked at type - just buying cheap packets & sowing! Will see!

Westi
Westi
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Raw peas straight from the pod are often the sweetest. Cooking them can kill the taste!
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I've got a routine going with peas: Sow first row (about 10' long, 1 normal packet) put up hoops and cover with net. When they're up and about 2" high I sow the next batch. When first batch are about 4-5" high net comes off and sticks go in. And so on throughout the spring and early summer. Seems to work for me whatever the variety.

MW
Johnboy
KG Regular

I have made 2 pea propagators each with 5 lengths of squareline guttering which gives me a 30ft row. To sow in succession as I plant out from the guttering I resow and so on. I tend to use Hurst's Greenshaft for succession and a row of Clive's Radeo Pea which naturally has a very long season and picks small quantities way into the Autumn.
To sow direct here would mean that the mice and voles would have a field day and no crop.
My propagators have an aviary netting cage over the top and the crop is actually raised on the benches in my open ended tunnel.
Incidently went into tunnel yesterday and there were three Tawny Owls perched on my propagators. Bloody cheek!
JB.
peter
KG Regular

Not cheek JB, additional mouse proofing. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Wow JB - up close & personal with the owls! Must be mice or other small mammals in there (or they were just a bit nippy) :)! Well that's 100% organic rodent control!

Westi
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

This place is a haven for wildlife sadly most seem to be rodents!
If peas or beans or anything else is left uncovered they very soon disappear so most things are pot grown and transplanted.
I have numerous trees around the plot and the owls love to sun themselves in full view and the last couple of days it has been wet with sunny intervals and during the intervals out they come. I have seen 6 owls at the same time. Years ago I had a pair of Barn Owls but one got killed on the road outside and the other simply left the nest complete with the eggs and now I only occasionally see one.
I have mainly Tawny Owls but at least three pairs and one pair of Little Owls that are nesting in my rock pile. (rock set aside for walling repairs)
If I could remember how to post a photo then I would show you my Pea propagator but sadly all attempts have so far failed I have had advice from so many people it is a great source of embarrassment but I fail every time.
I am in need of an idiots guide! (is that a resounding hear hear I hear!)
JB.
thetangoman
KG Regular
Location: Land of golden sands,blues skies,cold beer and magical sunsets.

I had a Tawney Owl as a pet many years ago, he was around for several months when set free and regularly came home and would feed from your hand ..great birds as well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic