Best Variety of Lettuce

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

pumpkinworm
KG Regular

Hello.

I'm new on this forum, I was just wondering whether anyone new of any good varieties of lettuce I could try. I'm going to make a seed order soon and i am after some new and different varieties.

Westi
KG Regular

Welcome Pumpkinworm!

I'm growing a red iceberg again this year even though I was a bit disappointed as the 'red' is only on the outside, but tasted good - can't remember the name - sorry!

Stay with it someone will answer your question with something more relevant! Personally I quite like good old corn salad for flavour but very subjective is our taste!

Westi
Westi
pumpkinworm
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Welcome Pumpkinworm!

I'm growing a red iceberg again this year even though I was a bit disappointed as the 'red' is only on the outside, but tasted good - can't remember the name - sorry!

Stay with it someone will answer your question with something more relevant! Personally I quite like good old corn salad for flavour but very subjective is our taste!

Westi

Thank you westi I'll look out for a variety of red iceberg lettuce :)
Primrose
KG Regular

I always like to include some curly endive in my salad leaf selection. It's incredibly hardy and seems to be quite slug resistant too.
John
KG Regular

Hello PW
A lot depends on what sort of lettuce you prefer. For a crsipy cos type one of the best varieties has to be 'Little Gem'. which is widely available. If you want lettuce leaves then I would recommend the cut-and-come-again types. These come in all sizes and colours - the mixed seed packets are probably the best. In a mixture the plants do not all mature at the same time also a c-a-c-a lettuce can be cut and allowed to regrow perhaps three times.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

My particular favourite is Tonale, an Ice Queen type. This sort of lettuce is popular on the Continent but hardly known here; rather like a crisphead in many ways but with an open habit, more like an endive in appearance (me, I find endive too bitter and tough). Very robust and easy to grow. It's available from Kings.
Allotment, but little achieved.
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi PW

As others have said, it really does depend on what sort of lettuce you are looking for: crisphead, cos, iceberg, soft-leaved, heading, loose-leaf, yellow, green, red, variegated. I try to grow as many variations on the theme as I can fit in. I prefer variety. This year I am trying this mixture from http://www.realseeds.co.uk/lettuce.html
I have some sown already in the polytunnel and they are coming through an exciting mix as promised.

lettuces.PNG
lettuces.PNG (280.38 KiB) Viewed 6221 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Primrose
KG Regular

The Mortons Secret Mix looks interesting because i think the secret to enjoying salads is to have a wide variety of colours and textures. Also because different varieties will grow in slightly different ways you have a better chance of cutting and coming again and maintaing supplies over a longer period.

Incidentally how many people go on picking/eating their lettuces once they've bolted? I often do if supplies are running low and find the leaves still provide a reasonable salad.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
I have always found that lettuces that have bolted have a tendency to be rather on the bitter side and although some folk seem to like this I prefer not to use anything from one that has bolted.
I find that to grow then in a succession and plant as I pull and have about four small patches growing at the same time.
I also have a salad table which is roughly 6ft x 4ft 1.5 ft off the ground protected and close to the house planted with Lollo Rossa and Lollo Bionda and if I need lettuce for a sandwich lunchtime I simply pull a few leaves. I also have salad onions growing round the margins which is the equivelant to a 20ft row and quite adequate for my needs.
I used to market 40 different varieties of lettuce and should anybody want a copy of that list please feel free to PM me.
I have no doubts that some of them would be hard to get now as the list is over 10 years old but still mainly valid.
JB.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy - yes I agree about bitter-tasting bolted lettuce. As a matter of interest to get succession how often do you sow and how many? I invariably get it wrong and have too many and too few.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
I agree that it is difficult to get it right but when we were growing to feed the mail order, retail and commercial growers it was very easy. What I do now is around four sowings and with lettuces like Little Leprachaun and Warpath and the other smaller Cos types I can get three plantings from the same sowing. They mature so fast that those still in the module from the same sowing albeit a little root bound romp away. I no longer grow any large lettuces and certainly not Little Gem which I find far too bitter for my taste. My policy now is to plant one as you pull one. With the salad table two sowings covers the year with Lollo Rossa and Lolla Bionda as with these I just keep on taking leaves and they produce masses and sow a second batch in early June (ish) serves me right up to the autumn.
JB.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Thanks Johnboy.
alan refail
KG Regular

IMG_1318 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1318 (640x480).jpg (273.54 KiB) Viewed 6021 times

These are two of the three trays of the mixed lettuce I sowed on 10 February. Almost ready for planting out.
I am impressed with the variety of colour and shape.
Attachments
IMG_1319 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1319 (640x480).jpg (269.29 KiB) Viewed 6021 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Geoff
KG Regular

Lettuce posts nearly as common as grow light surveys!
Must remember all this for the Autumn when I am planning overwintering, I've put them down for week 36 (2nd in September) at the moment.
I'm impressed your mixture yields different colours at the same size, I usually find red ones are a lot slower than green ones. Have you ever found a significant difference between white seeded and brown seeded varieties?
alan refail
KG Regular

IMG_1335 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1335 (640x480).jpg (308.46 KiB) Viewed 5903 times

OK, I know, yet another picture of lettuce, but I do think they're rather attractive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic