Polytunnel Choices

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Geoff
KG Regular

Moved on a bit. Installed some concrete, you know I like concrete, and started creating the terraced beds. The plan is the narrow border 2' on the North side and 5 terraced beds approximately 10'x4' running North-South, all level and each 6" below the previous. Was going to finish them today but yesterday's snow and rain left me with a mud bath again. Built staging and shelves, installed water and made overhead supports with battens along the crop rails and tensioned wire across. Hoping to round up friends and neighbours for a cover day on Sunday so there may be more photos to post!

IMG_2724_RR.jpg
IMG_2724_RR.jpg (208.43 KiB) Viewed 5610 times

IMG_2729_RR.jpg
IMG_2729_RR.jpg (291.16 KiB) Viewed 5610 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Geoff, i don't get impressed easily these days, but i have to say, you are making a first class job, a real credit to you. I can imagine many a happy hour being spent in there in the near future.

Hope the grand covering day goes well....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

That looks so complicated to me I reackon there is a mini business in the making for a polytunnel erector. I so want one but in my mini search I haven't seen any of the major suppliers offerring to come & put it up! Geoff - you up for it? That looks so sturdy.

Westi
Westi
gowerbass come gardener
KG Regular

gotta agree with OH here , on a superb job your doing there , you are giving me some inspiration i can tell you
a bad days fishing beats a good days work
Geoff
KG Regular

Thanks for all those kind words.
I have made the task very complicated in several ways. First my site sloping in both directions made things very difficult. Then my objective was a set up that would be easy to manage. The hope is that my wife will do quite a lot of the work in there but since her breast cancer operation reach is an issue hence the design of everything within 2' of a path. I wanted some staging, storage and easy watering so more fiddling about. Doing it in Winter with alternate freezing and flooding hasn't helped.
I think if you start with a level site and aren't so fussy about presentation it is not a daunting diy project but some companies will build them. Mine came from First Tunnels, when I visited them I met someone from the installation team (I can't see a link on their website but you could always enquire). I've always fancied a holiday in Dorset but I don't think you'd put up with my productivity!
retropants
KG Regular

that looks bloody brilliant Geoff! Seriously impressed, you have put a lot of thought into overcoming the obstacles, and I also wish you many happy hours in there!

we have space for one, but cannot afford one at the moment. time to start saving, and I'll call you when we are ready to put it up :wink:
Geoff
KG Regular

Evening falls on beautiful productive day. Pleating not perfect but probably needed to be warmer. General tightness looks good but will have to see when it warms up. Still some trimming, tidying up and door tuning to do.

IMG_2748_RR.jpg
IMG_2748_RR.jpg (219.11 KiB) Viewed 5557 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Geoff, i think a little pleating is just run of the mill on the ends, so well done to you and your team. I don't know if it is just me being a little bit of a oddball but, with my greenhouses i have put up in the past, (and especialy the last, big one i put up), when entering them after they are sealed to the elements, i get this really special feeling. Maybe it's the thought of pleasurable times ahead. I do hope your wife enjoys it as much, as well.

It really does look great, and hopefully you will post some photographs as you bring things into production.

sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Geoff,
when the plastic has had a week or two to stretch a little it would be a good idea to tighten it a little if you are able. The less movement the plastic is capable of over the frame the less chafe and the longer it will last.
Regards Sally Wright.
Geoff
KG Regular

Sorted the inside over the last few days and planted 10 Rocket Potatoes under a cloche.

IMG_2750_RR.jpg
IMG_2750_RR.jpg (350.18 KiB) Viewed 5246 times
Monika
KG Regular

Wow, Geoff, I am SO impressed (and jealous)! It looks marvellous and will no doubt give you years of pleasure!
Westi
KG Regular

Geof - you must be so proud of yourself! Many congrats for finishing - Job Well Done! Hope you get years of enjoyment from pottering around in there!

Westi
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Thanks again for the comments, I admit I was showing off with the photographs as I am well pleased with how it has turned out. Of course it has yet to survive any significant weather. It also has to produce. I am a bit worried about how I have messed the soil about with level changes, path moving and digging footings; I think I have lost some of the good work of 25 years cultivation of that bed. Good job it is a hobby, no way is it economical. I haven't dared add up what I have spent at the builders' merchants on top of the tunnel itself. Sowed some seeds in there today (under cloches), well over 20 degrees, but it goes foggy (in the air, I don't mean condensation) as it cools in the evening with all the residual moisture.
Geoff
KG Regular

I think polytunnel growing is so far so good.
The Feltham First peas are flowering nicely and behind them the Delikett Mangetout are also growing well. In front of them are Rocket Potatoes planted 22nd February that are just coming into bud, I haven't tried poking around yet!

IMG_2810_RR.jpg
IMG_2810_RR.jpg (267.92 KiB) Viewed 5093 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Geoff, i know you show little emotion on the forum, :) but you must be over the moon with that wonderful result.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic