New plot

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Dopolous01

Hi all,
I am taking over a new plot on the 1st of May. I already have two others, the one I am taking over has been given up and needs a bit of work as the previous owner has done nothing on it. I have been told there are Beetroots in there, Onions and a patch of Comfrey. I will take the Beetroot out, use the Onions for Salad(they are left over from last year) but should I leave the Comfrey where it is ot take a clump and put it in a bottomless bucket in a corner?
I am also not sure wether to double dig incorporating manure as I go or just clear the top stuff, and manure where needed, I plan to start with courgettes and squashes followed by plantings of brassicas and swiss chard in July/August for the winter months.

Any advice would be gratefully received, I always find this forum useful to read up what everyone else is doing!!

Cheers
Carole B.
KG Regular

I doubt if the onions and beetroot will be much good now,probably all woody and pithy.The comfrey wont be any good in a bucket,the idea of using the leaves as liquid manure (after soaking)or layering it in compost relies on the fact that it's deep roots will bring up nutrients from deep in the soil and being in a bucket prevents that! I don't find it invasive in the way that mint is but if you decide to move it to a more convienient spot then try to get all the root out as it will re-grow from bits left in.It would be a good time to divide the clump and plant up a permenant bed if you have the room.
Carole.
Compo
KG Regular

I had similar predicament last year was given a new plot which was high in two to three foot weeds, the ground underneath was moist soft crumbly clay which I understood had by been well manured and composted previously, so it was a case of pulling up the weeds and I just singled dug it, got a reasonable yeild last year, have dug in more manure this year and things are looking better

I would move the comfrey to a spot where it is limited, but you will be awre that when mixed with nettles it is a great source of liquid compost.

Good luck!!
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........

Some varieties of comfrey are very invasive, but the one grown specifically to make liquid feed, Bocking 14, is not. It`s a lot taller than most comfrey varients and grows about 2-3 feet tall.

I would just leave it where it is if not in an awkward place. But if it starts to spread then yes, dig it out and replant in a confined space like a bucket. Or if you really want to grow comfrey as a fertilizer and you have the invasive kind, then buy some Bocking 14 from the Organic Gardening Catalogue.

Thanks all, I will move the Comfrey to the corner, putting in a bottomless bucket so that the roots can reach right down.
ste2
KG Regular

I have also taken on another plot. but am not yet sure what to put there as i dont want to put the same crops as my other plot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic