French Beans

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Really find it hard to believe I have just picked my first beans! First lot got nipped with a late frost & the next got done by the pigeons then being the optimist put in another lot and either mice got them or just rotted...these are so special...& I'm not particularly patient! Well chuffed! :D

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, sometimes in life you just have to be a little patient. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

It's been a bad year for French beans so you're lucky to get anything. Half my climbers simply died, and although I sowed more than 30 yellow dwarf yellow beans, only half a dozen germinated & produced anything at all.

My runner beans seem to be late developers and are at last producing some kind of a crop, but sadly not enough surplus to freeze as in previous years.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Primrose, sounds like my garden. Have had enough French beans for a mixed bean accompaniement every 2-3 meals but on the whole they haven't produced anywhere near the volume we're used to and some of the plants just curled up and died on me. Took 3 sowings to produce a handful of plants and some of them weren't that healthy looking.

The runner beans, on the other hand, are only now producing masses of lovely, long beans and I may even get a few to freeze for Christmas :)

VPM
x
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I love you people, have a hug all-round.

Clearing up the mess after my first season and all of a sudden I have beans. french beans of two different varieties though i'm not sure if variety is responsible for early failure.

My first batch got hammered by wind and I thought I might have AP contamination because of the curling leaves. Then I learnt those symptoms could be nutrient deficiencies but some of them came back and gave me beans. Second sowing were a little better and third sowing are looking good but haven't produced.

The bed that I treated with the suspect cow-poo has most definitely produced some strong crops, much stronger than beds that were not treated and the few bean plants I tried in the untreated beds look miserable and sulking.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic