vegetables for shade

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marianne

I have a largish patch, but it doesn't get much sun. Are there any vegetables I could grow successfully in it?
peter
KG Regular

Raspberries?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Most of the soft fruit is OK in some shade, especially as has been said Rasperries. Rhubbarb and blackcurrents seem fine to.

One thing that prefers shade is lettuce, especially in the heat of the summer.

Sprouts will stand some shade and I have had sucess with courgette and squash in shade, though they had sun for a couple of hours a day.

I am sure other will have more ideas.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Beccy
KG Regular

Gooseberries. The soft fruits we have mentioned evolved growing under trees in woodland edges and so do surprisingly well in shady conditions.

A little more information would help us to help you. How much is not much sun, roughly, an hour, three hours?
Is it dry or wet?
Allan
KG Regular

WE have a good crop of feral strawberries var. Cambridge Late Pine growing in of all places the shady bottom edge of a privet hedge. They have been there at least 10 years, some slug damage but plenty for us.
Compo
KG Regular

I grew both parsnips and carrotts under a S facing hedge in my garden last year, the tops seem to grow more upright as if in search for the light, the roots seem to be of a normal size, and good for harvesting early as tender young crops.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Lyn
KG Regular

We have had a reasonable crop of curly kale in a small area which only gets the sun in the late afternoon.
Lyn
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic