Plastic Cold Frames

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin Miles
KG Regular

What always amazes me about these is the amount of dirt that gets in between the plastic layers. But today another source of amazement - slugs living in between the layers. Next time I go for glass.
Trixie74
KG Regular

I've got a brilliant and free [cold frame - take an old door saw it here and there, stick some nails in, then plop a folding glass shower curtain on for the lid (I think thats screwed down at the back). Easy to open and close and its safety glass.

Thanks to the local tip and an unusually handy husband.

(oh and kids who painted it)

Who knows what the two old velux windows will turn into?!?!?!?!
Beryl
KG Regular

Colin, slugs and snails get in between the panes on glass cold frames and greenhouses to.

Beryl.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Beryl - yes indeed, but you can get at them. With the plastic sheets you have to wait until they emerge - unless you dismember the sheets. Sprinkled lots of slug pellets inside the frame and hope they have done the trick - will be examining later.

And with glass you can wipe clean, but the dirt inside the plastic remains.
Geoff
KG Regular

What sort of plastic cold frames are we talking about? If they are twin walled polycarbonate the problem is caused by not taping or otherwise sealing the open edges.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Yes Geoff they are, but I naively expected the aluminium edging to 'seal' them. But it seems to have had little effect, even on those edges not near the soil. Know better next time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic